New Speakersystem

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Tom, I can now get a pair of 1038B for only €6.000 ex. VAT as discount price from my gear-pusher. I am seriously considering them, how good are they in your opinion? I can't wait to test them if I can get hold of a test pair.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote:Tom, I can now get a pair of 1038B for only €6.000 ex. VAT as discount price from my gear-pusher. I am seriously considering them, how good are they in your opinion? I can't wait to test them if I can get hold of a test pair.
:shock: that's what i call a price !!

Honestly, I never had a better speakersystem !! The difference to the 1031A is huge !! Very transparent and you will hear everything on 'em !! Go and grap them, Holger , you won't regret , really!!!
:wink:
have a nice day
Thomas
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

By the way,Holger , if you have the space , make them FLUSH-MOUNTED if not (like in our studio) put them as close as possible to the wall to get the real bottom out of them :wink:
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Unfortunately flush mount isn't really possible in my studio (due to the vocal booth, lay out etc), and while mounting them close to the wall is good for extra bass, I find it exaggerates resonance, and makes it too unreliable in the lower frequencies.

Of course moving them away from the walls introduce new problems with standing waves, cancellation etc.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't! :evil:

I'm glad you're happy with them, though :) I suppose the low price is due to the fact its a Scandinavian brand perhaps.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Lagerfeldt wrote:I suppose the low price is due to the fact its a Scandinavian brand perhaps.
Doesn't really matter - it's a finnish brand and they're almost as freakishly expensive in here as in everywhere else :)

For example the 1030a that I've been looking for are 630e in the local shop vs. 700e in Thomann but that shouldn't make that much of a difference on the higher end gear. Oh well, you never know.

Sumppi
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Well, they seem to be a whole lot more expensive in Germany, so I guess it must have an influence after all. Germany is usually known for being a lot cheaper when it comes to gear and hi fi.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote: ....I find it exaggerates resonance, and makes it too unreliable in the lower frequencies.
I don't have any problems , GENELEC say it is recommended to put them, if not FLUSH , direct to the wall (O,05-0,5m or more than 1,6m , with BASS TILT on -2DB) that's exactly how we have it and believe me ,
the bass IS RELIABLE here :wink:
I heard them in a bigger studio and they have them FLUSH - MOUNTED and there is NO difference to the bass sound compared to our room ( lucky i am )
:lol:

all the best and let me know if it is JBL or GENELEC :wink:

cheers
Thomas
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

<b>GENELEC says:</b>

There are two different ways to solve this problem. It will depend on the room as to which one is most suitable and can be used:

* The monitor should be moved as close to the wall behind it as possible so that cancellation frequency is very high. At these higher frequencies the monitor has far less omni-directional energy so the cancellation effects are greatly reduced. One side effect of this method is that the bass tilt should be set correctly to compensate for the additional loading presented to the bass driver by the wall. One final tweak to minimise any remaining cancellation effect is to pack any remaining space between the monitor and the wall with absorbing material such as rock wool. However, be careful that there is sufficient space for amplifier cooling

* The monitor should be moved further away from the wall behind it so that the cancellation frequency is well below the low cut off frequency of the monitor. In practice this is not always possible, as the room may not be large enough especially for monitors with a deep low cut-off frequency.

:wink:
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Yes, my point exactly.

But since option 1 is not possible option 2 is what I'm doing right now, but the distance is never enough, since there needs to be place for the working area (console etc.) also.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.. argh.

Also looking at some KRK E8T right now, a bit more hi fi in the sound but very nice, €4.500 approx.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote: since there needs to be place for the working area (console etc.) also.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.. argh.

Also looking at some KRK E8T right now, a bit more hi fi in the sound but very nice, €4.500 approx.
:roll: well, i hope you'll find a solve for the problem !
Never heard of the KRK E8T !

best of luck
Thomas
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Checking out a whole 'nother system:

Rather exited to hear this f*ckers in action, were recently the test winners in a big monitor test in Denmark.

·One treble unit
·One midrange to higher low end cone
·One low end cone (<150 Hz), and
·Two ports.

Adam S3A
Markus Schneider
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Markus Schneider »

I know some people who swear at ADAM. I have heard the S2A and they are great aswell. A mate who has a studio in Austria changed the Genelec 1031 to S3A. At least he says they are not as HiFi than Genelec and he didn't regret the change. You have to know is doing classical stuff.

Hmm, finally not my price range :roll: *snieef*
Markus
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Great, they are getting very good reviews too.

*IN GERMAN*, read the last page "Fazit", it seems this reviewer was extremely impressed (my German reading skills are so-so but this much I could understand :))

http://www.adam-audio.de/downloads/studio_magazin.pdf

They are somewhat more expensive in Denmark, but worth the price it seems.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Something different

Post by LMan »

Can anybody recommend good monitor headphones for a reasonable price? (I mean below 100 Euros).

Thanks,

- Markus :)
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Re: Something different

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:Can anybody recommend good monitor headphones for a reasonable price? (I mean below 100 Euros).
I'm happy with my Sennheiser Linear HD-250, been using them for 7 years now. Closed headphones but not "too closed", I can easily use them many hours in a row. The lowest bass (<40 Hz) somehow distorts the highest frequencies, like a kind of compressor. But once I got used to that, I've done a lot of mastering with them - I just do one quick check in a bigger pair of speakers afterwards.

I paid approx 160 Euros in 1997, I don't know what they cost today, but they are still available.

That's just my opinion... I'm sure there's more of them here!