MIDI hardware question..

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

MIDI hardware question..

Post by Feekzoid »

Lo all!

I've only ever had a single midi device attached to any of my computer based sequencers, but this is soon to change and I would like to know how this works..

PC has midi IN and OUT
Korg has IN, OUT, and THRU
Much anticipated new device (soundmodule) has IN, OUT and THRU.

How do I connect all these devices so that the soundsets from both the korg and the module are controllable by the sequencer and presumably the Korg keyboard by working as master - do the devices have to be set up on different midi channels?

Ironically I've not had a lot to do with midi devices - just my korg coupled with a now -alas- obsolete YamahaSW60XG card - Soundfonts and VSTs.

Ta.

ThickoZoid
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

S'Complicated, but in essence you'd better get a new MIDI interface ;-)

*cough*

The best thing is to connect the Korg to PC in and out, and to connect the new sound module to the other MIDI port IN/OUT. You can connect the JV in to the Korg THRU, but that means all signals destined to the JV will be played by the Korg as well. There will also be a little latency too, if you're hammering the JV with 16 channels, 32 notes.

Chris
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

It occurs to me that I could use the fact that my Soundblaster Audigy2 EX has midiports on the external box, and a normal gameport in the back - and that these are independantly addressible as SBaudigy Midiport and SBaudigy MidiportII - and therefore could be seperately utilised as audio sources whilst still using the KORG to be the master keyboard control...

Hmmm.

Sounds like it would work - tho I'd need to dig out me old gameport midi adapter!
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Korg out -> PC IN
PC OUT -> JV
JV Thru -> Korg IN.

In this way you control everything, but you loose the capacity
receive sysex and or CC fro the JV.

Best thing to get a new midi interface:

....like the one i'm selling HERE.

:)