Oh dear.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Oh dear.

Post by Maindrian »

Don't laugh. I'm absolutely gutted. I know people have their problems, some serious, some not so serious, but a single event has thrown me into complete and utter despair.

My dear friend, the Encore P45 gibson copy has had an accident and died. The guitar you might possibly have heard playing rythm on most of my remixes is now no more than a buzzing wreck, and it's all because I stood on a lead and tore out the electrics. To get it repaired would cost me the price of a brand new (well, second hand) electric guitar. I do have another one, but its no fun to play and only sounds good doing lead work. In short, I cannot have my usual evening riff sessions. I cannot unwind. I cannot rocketh like the wind.

I know it ain't exactly earth shattering stuff folks, but the mood I'm in at the moment... Gah! Anybody ever had equipment failiure as frustrating as this? Or is it just me?
Great, another set of strings ruined...
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Re: Oh dear.

Post by CraigG »

Maindrian wrote:I know it ain't exactly earth shattering stuff folks, but the mood I'm in at the moment... Gah! Anybody ever had equipment failiure as frustrating as this? Or is it just me?
Musically, no - largely because I tend to play acoustic. However, with the exception of my four-month-old PC laptop, every single computer I've ever bought has had some form of H/D trouble develop, and it's rather frustrating when the iBook takes 20 minutes to boot.
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Well, it wasn't exactly a music instrument, though you were able to make it beep alot...
It was my very first "computer", an experimental 4-bitter (Microtronic?).
It met its demise with a burned-out powersource which fried every electronic part on the "mainboard" and rendered it wrecked beyond any chance of repair... very saddening for a kid. Years of saving money for nothing. Yeah, it was MY money, nothing like "Dad, I want a computer for christmas!"

I got hands on my first C64 and it worked well until the cassette port was destroyed by unknown cause. My brother was in general vicinity as it happened but he denied everything... well, it was HIS cassette in the datasette... an audiotape. I guess he tried some self-constructed audio-sampling device which completely f*cked up. Sadly, no evidence found. :wink: (Nothing to blackmail my big brother.)
I still have that old breadbox with the fried port. Wonder, if it will look good nailed to the wall...
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

My Amiga 500 had a drink of pepsi at a computer club and put on the best realtime demo ever ... "fireworks and sparks" - that was pretty depressing for a while.
beyond
Forum God
Forum God

Post by beyond »

Never drink P***i
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

well, i've lost some of my gear during the years.... :cry: like a beautiful
hoefner e-guitar from the 60s and a ibanez roadstarII due some stupid
people in a backstage area... the hoefner was stolen and the roadstar
was smashed by a totally drunken guy.... :evil:

...and some synths which died by my own hand.... :wink:

btw. my favorite e-guitar is my ibanez black beauty from 1971, but i
wish i had the money to buy a rickenbacker....

take a look at ebay for some nice 2nd hand guitars, for 200€ you can get a good epiphone lp copy....

cheers ifadeo

p.s. nice interview....
Last edited by ifadeo on 05/05/2004 - 9:07, edited 1 time in total.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I am so relieved you put an "I" after those **** beyond!

mmmm, relieved may not be the right word ;)
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Matrix wrote:My Amiga 500 had a drink of pepsi at a computer club and put on the best realtime demo ever ... "fireworks and sparks" - that was pretty depressing for a while.
Reminds me of my Amiga500 having some tea with me... but that wasn't fatal. I turned it off and used a hair drier on it. It still works today though there is a strange smell of haw in the air after some minutes of operation...
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I took my amiga home.. i unhooked all the bits and lay them strewn across the floor, and switched on - it worked :) - i gave it a good cleaning with flouracarbonisopropanylalcohol and it shone :) lasted about a month then gave up the ghost. I remember almost crying as i threw away the case, i salvaged the chips (which amazingly still worked) and sold em seperately for a total of £70 (more than the amiga was worth at that time too lol)

I got my own back on the world 6 years later when i bagged a nice PDA type IR thing from a carboot for a tenner, they guy said it was worth 80 notes, worked ok, so i bought it. Went home, opened up the newspaper - "AMIGA1200 for sale + assorted bits", rang the guy explaining i had a hand held PC worth £100 and id add £20 to make up the asking price - he agreed :)

FOOL lol

I came away with Amiga 1200, 16 meg RAM expansion, 68040, SCSI cd caddie and 40 meg HD + cables and 2 BIG boxes of discs :)

Total outlay, £30 lol .... Bargain at half the price :D - sadly it doesnt gel so well with the red sector demo maker, so most of my old compacts dont load so well.... but so what - A1200 + bits for £30 lol ....

And i still use it today :)
Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

I've lost

1 120 GB HD
1 MIDIMAN Oxygen 8
1 Viola that I rented
2 Recorders