Not a remix, but from old scener: Mechanical Dreams

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Not a remix, but from old scener: Mechanical Dreams

Post by rambones »

Hi,

I've now heard this CD from Markus Siebold over 30 times.
And I still find new stuff in it.

The structure of the CD, the journey that it makes you go, is just great I think.

If you didn't listen, try some previews from http://www.siebold.org

Warning to live musicians: this CD is SYNTH!! :-)
..Ride the SIDwave!!
http://www.janharries.com
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Re: Not a remix, but from old scener: Mechanical Dreams

Post by Romeo Knight »

rambones wrote: Warning to live musicians: this CD is SYNTH!! :-)
OH MY GOD !

Well in fact, his pathetic moustache is worse for me! :lol:
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

I guess this means you do not like it at all or want to like it ?

Well too bad.

Romeo Knight, for me you are one of those digital composers, with the Amiga tunes you did, so how can it be that you turned away from that ?

I know what real feeling, live music can do for your music, it's alpha and omega, but in computers you can do more/different - and I am for trying all roads, not exclude any of them, it limits my dreams.

RK, will there be any CD's from you ?

And where or how can I finally complete my RK MOD collection ?
I am not complete without it, I know I miss something, and it means a lot to me.
..Ride the SIDwave!!
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

rambones wrote: Romeo Knight, for me you are one of those digital composers, with the Amiga tunes you did, so how can it be that you turned away from that ?
I concur, Some of your Amiga stuff is amazing! More Please :D
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Sorry guys, I'm sometimes trying to be funny and often it fails :wink: :roll:
In fact I (still) don't have anything against synth music, actually I love it, really. I thought this little joke above would cover it, so never mind.
Talking bout Siebold I think his tracks sound..errr...bland, but that's just me(not trying to offend anyone!). Actually they sound like his moustache looks like :wink: :lol:
But you're so right rambones: there are so many ways and so much possibilities around live and computer music and the combination of both, it's just a pity most of them digital composer nowadays don't use them and put their inspiration and energy into their compositions - that is for good live musicians an essental thing to do. That's most of the difference for me in these modern days while each and every John Doe makes "music" in his homestudio.
Ah and: thank you both for your praise - @rambones: As I wrote you I have a RK mod collection (collected by Steven Feurer) - do you want a link for download? And what do you mean by "CD from you"?

Have a nice day,
Eike
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I curse the day my Amiga 1200's Maxtor HDD got corrupted, had quite a nice Amiga mod collection. The new collection lacks a lot of rare and semi-rare modules. Anyway, the AMP site lists 43 Romeo Knight modules; but I'm sure the RK link will be better. :-)

http://amp.dascene.net/result.php?kapwe ... o%20Knight

ps. Rambones, are you a general mod collector or just a collector of a few select composers or categories?
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

He, I'm not very good at reading irony from mails, except if there's smileys used.

I'm sorry, I never got your mail about mods, i had mailboxjam for 7 days and lost a lot.

I'd like that link, thanks! :-)

Well, I don't know what you really spend your time with, I was just hoping that you will make a CD some day ?

Or at least tried, so if any old projects are available anywhere, it would be very cool to investigate it!
..Ride the SIDwave!!
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

exoskeleton wrote:ps. Rambones, are you a general mod collector or just a collector of a few select composers or categories?
Well, I have all the older stuff, self ripped. (1987-1994), And then I got the MODS anthology 4 CD set one day as a gift.

Then I didnt spend time on mods from 1996-2000, but then I started to suck from the net and found all those that I didnt have in my democollection (mods).

I have found below 10 classic mods on Nectarine that I didn't have, but sadly I cant get them because I am not able to make a user. It never works, and all my attempts to mail them about it have failed.

They have a few mods from BUG that I miss.

At some point I just decided to get a lot, so I sucked ftp.modland.com - pretty much all is there, its in all the exotic formats you also know from amiga, and I listen them with Deliplayer.

I think there's 100.000+ tunes there..

I want to sort all I have, but I have other projects, and this one hasnt gotten the priority yet.

If you want you can mail me, then I can share my personal collection, its 5289 files and many of those are missing in the other collections that i downloaded. (this is all sorted)

To pin it down, my personal colly is select, but i have perhaps the largest colly of all, with all combined. Just not merged/sorted..

ftp.modland.com is sorted by player, so youll find the same composer in various dirs..
..Ride the SIDwave!!
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

rambones wrote:Well, I don't know what you really spend your time with, I was just hoping that you will make a CD some day ?

Or at least tried, so if any old projects are available anywhere, it would be very cool to investigate it!
Well, since 1995 I'm having live bands and made some CDs with live music on it, too - but I suppose that's not what you're searching for. I even did some synthesizer music in the time before but everything I have left from this is a cassette tape. That's not too bad, because I think this was no good music at all. :roll:
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

The long story

That's the spirit. I also bougt Mods Anthology from Gryzor. I guess I've heard more than 50%, perhaps more than 80% but who knows. I also got 10+ Aminet CDs. As you I had a collection of ripped modules, some of them self-ripped, but they disintegrated when my Maxtor HDD went disfunctional.

I'm in the process of making a small tool that will index all files in a folder and generate unique hash codes for them in an XML file. Then another program can compare two XML files and determine who's missing what and generate e.g. a zip file of all the missing files on each side. I think that'd be a neat utility to have. It wohn't have an nice GUI because its programmed in a rather new language with few APIs (D).

Another thing. I could really use WinFS now because I dispise the primitive folder structure. Some music belongs in multiple folders and shortcuts suck as do duplicates. E.g. I have a directory structure like

creator (one big motherf*ucker of a folder)
-- antai
------ ANTAI - Quik & Silva (Orchestral Version-andante-Melancholy Edit).mp3
-- jogeir liljedahl
------ _.xml (some info about jogeir)
---- 1 (mods and mp3s here)
---- 2 (collections here)
creators
-- (cooperations)
-- accord, deelite
-- brian johnston, raymond usher, david whittaker
-- allister brimble, anthony putson
special
-- (some categories with special music that I think is cool)
groups
-- vibrants
variation
-- creation
---- (variations on a theme kind of stuff)
---- delta
------ Gustav Taxen - Delta (Space Grind Mix).mp3
------ (one bazillion more takes on delta here)
---- fist
---- fist 2
-- creator
---- lots of short cuts to (in particular) SID remixers from module/creator
---- a big folder with various SID stuff
various
-- unsorted mods
format
-- SID
-- AON

In all
- 30 GB data
- 120,000 files
- 10,000 folders

That's including tons of MP3 stuff. I don't care to separate mp3s and mods really; creator is good enough.

This style means a lot of shortcuts and if I move the modules to another folder all shortcuts break. Dont that a couple of times. Not correcting the shortcuts though, would like a tool to fix those.

I think I downloaded modland a couple of years ago but Amiga Music Preservation archive is a huge I seriously doubt that modland has all of their stuff. But they only have FTP upload. Right, like I want to upload tons of tunes without having the possibility to FTP download as well. :-) But maybe modland is as good as AMP now -- if it is, I'll consider downloading from them. Its just such a huuuuge work to categorize all this music. Imagine having to insert modland into my current categorization. It would take months. Of course with my tool I could determine duplicates and then just take the ones I don't have.

I think that you may have a lot of ripped music that might not be in modland so that'd be interesting. (Although perhaps it would be in AMP, but who wants to download one by one.) :P

The short story

Anyway, to make a long story short: it could be fun swapping a bit so I may write you an email. Perhaps after my tool is done which would make that a lot easier to-do on a mass scale. :-)
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Romeo Knight wrote:Well, since 1995 I'm having live bands and made some CDs with live music on it, too - but I suppose that's not what you're searching for.
I really don't know :-) - That's why is asked.

Let me hear your 3 personaly favourites, then I can see if it's something I like :-)

The only stuff I don't spend any time on is: pop (britney spears etc.), and death metal. Anything else has my attention!
..Ride the SIDwave!!
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

MOD collecting

Post by rambones »

Exoskeleton:

In 1994 my friend Nevad got a copy of my Amiga HD with all on it.
The day after, I went to a guy and plugged in my HD in his computer, and it went pouff! My life was destroyed, all my C64 disks, SID rips, selfmade programs, mods, everything! lost!?
I hurried to Nevad, who was just about to delete from my diskcopy, what he didn't want. Offcourse I got it all back. It was EXTREME luck I think.

Since this, I have some copies, in the bankvault - I update them 3-4 times a year.

>I'm in the process of making a small tool that will index all files in a >folder and generate unique hash codes for them in an XML file. Then >another program can compare two XML files and determine who's >missing what and generate e.g. a zip file of all the missing files on each >side. I think that'd be a neat utility to have. It wohn't have an nice GUI >because its programmed in a rather new language with few APIs (D).

Maybe you should take a look at http://www.clrmame.com - it can be configured to make lists the way you prefer, and it uses a hash on every file, so sorting becomes very fast. I'm not an expert to use it, I just recently started - we're using it to handle a C64 demo collection.

Dir structure:

I have mods in a flat struture like:

/mods/romeo_knight/
/mods/rambones/

etc.

Then I can find anything I want easily.

I don't mix mp3 with mods, i have them in /mp3/computer/composername/

>I think I downloaded modland a couple of years ago but Amiga Music >Preservation archive is a huge I seriously doubt that modland has all of >their stuff. But they only have FTP upload. Right, like I want to upload

Well, AMP does not have all the exotic formats, only mod/xm - so you're missing thousands of tunes there!

All those games in custom-player format, they are on modland f.ex.

>Anyway, to make a long story short: it could be fun swapping a bit so I >may write you an email. Perhaps after my tool is done which would >make that a lot easier to-do on a mass scale. :-)

I've copied all my CDs to mp3, and organized like this:

/mp3
/alternative
/classic
/computer
/c64remixes
/makke
/chris_abbott
/rob_hubbard
/movies
/jerry_goldsmith
/danny_elfman
/pop_rock
/techno

and mods:

/mods
/allister_brimble
/jogeir_liljedahl
/jeroen_tel
/romeo_knight

I plan to merge the modland collection, that is sorted like:

/musicplayerformat/composer

I will do this:

/mods
/rambones
/mods
/future_composer
/oktalyzer
/digital_mugician
/xm

And so on..

But now, no time!! :-)
Next year maybe..
..Ride the SIDwave!!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Holy crap. You store your modules in a bank safe? That's what I call commitment. :-) I'm waiting cheap Blu-Ray RW to appear, ahemn.

The structure looks fine, besides the structure isn't that important because our structures are not and are not likely to become compatible. The tool which is finished now (at least for local scan, not HTTP/FTP scan) is quite simple and easy to use.

E.g.

scan.exe e:\mods

This will then create a file scan.txt relative to the path where scan.exe was called from.

Anyway, I mix mods and mp3 because I think file format is an artificial distinction which I can make myself by browsing the files. It does make the collection less space-efficient but that's not an issue for me. As for exotic modules through the years I've scanned quite a couple of websites, including exotica so I don't think modland could offer much there, but I can't be sure; there probably are some I don't have since I haven't looked for a while and there's bound to be added some new ones every now and then.

I'll get back to you when the other tools are ready, if you don't mind using them.

Update Diff is now done. I now need to make Pack. It should have an option to make a spanned archive.
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

Well, if worst case happends, that my house burns down - I have my stuff. So why take that risk, nomatter how small it might be.

I have gas here, it could blow up!
(sometime)
..Ride the SIDwave!!