Zoids Revisited

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Zoids Revisited

Post by sumppi »

I feel a bit hesitant about posting this but, well, here goes nothing.

After releasing Zoids last year I've tried to tweak the mix a bit to get it sound better. Thicker. More productive, you know. Anyway, those attempts fell short of the goal and ended up unused.

After I made Calm with the real drums the idea surfaced again, this time with more thorough approach - to build the damn thing from scratch, with real drums, real bass and real oomph. And that's a short story made even shorter.

http://www.playbynumbers.com/mp3/zoids_revisited.mp3

This time, I'm happy with it. Almost. For a while, at least. Oh, and thanks to the IRC crowd, I know my iterative process on these is annoying ;)

Sumppi
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

Nice sounds, great performance!

If you'd like another "iteration", the part 02:34-03:12 is in my ears a little bit too improvised. Is the bass changed? Transposed? Am I getting senile? There's something there that isn't original, but I can't (without an A-B-comparison, which I won't do...) figure out what it is.

The piano part thereafter is nice! - And the ending as well! Cool Remix, Sumppi, top stuff!

Now, where is that sweaty screaming male singer with stripy long hair? 8)
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson wrote:If you'd like another "iteration", the part 02:34-03:12 is in my ears a little bit too improvised. Is the bass changed? Transposed? Am I getting senile? There's something there that isn't original, but I can't (without an A-B-comparison, which I won't do...) figure out what it is.
It's basically the same with some added variation in the sounds. And the guitar, well, it's pretty much different every time I play the ending :)

But you're right that it's a bit different, I thought that the original was a bit boring with looong notes so this time I aimed for a more loose feel. A matter of taste I guess :)
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson wrote:Now, where is that sweaty screaming male singer with stripy long hair? 8)
You tell me :)

Sumppi
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

God-like mastery of the sounds here. I hate to overuse a phrase, but it rocks. Rocks harder than a ton of rocks falling into a rocky canyon, as Rocky the flying squirrel has a hilltop battle with Rocky the boxer, while eating some Brighton rock. Thats how much it rocks. We need devil horn smilies. :shock:

Absolutely love those drums.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Very good! But I liked your original version much more, in fact for me listening to it was one of the reasons to go into remix64-scene myself!
You know, when it comes to live playing (especially drums) I'm the first one to love it, but in this case you need to provide a much better sound for it. This kind of raw, a little trashy but also very "lively" sound works well for your Calm, but it doesn't fit to the Hi-gain guitars of Zoids (wich I love btw). The snare has no punch, no attack at all and muffles somewhere in the background, IMHO it's tuned far to low. It almost sounds like Charlie Watts' mother plays on her saucepan! :wink: (Nevermind). But please, don't get pissed, your Zoids for me is one of the best Remixes ever. Really!
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

uhm... just stopped by to say it's a great remix. I would have expected harder chords but that's taste. The remix could have ended after the piano part...well... who cares if i like it the ending or not. Didn't manage to spot what pex mentioned anyway, asking me for such things is like asking a blind man what color his pants are (blah...he usually knows from others...stupid comparison).
Last edited by Vosla on 09/09/2004 - 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
All is lost.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

(Haha Maindrian) Quite cool remix. I like the drums, the synth and most of the guitar. Really nice. The piano sounds really good as well. Overall great remix. Really cool "anti-climax" after the piano.
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

In all honesty, Rob's interpretation of Larry Fast's tune for me stays the best (I mean, he already improved/expanded the tune to classical proportions).

The best remix I know of it is on BIT 3 CD.

What you can never do, is the ghostly drums - you'd have to use them as they are in Rob's tune, or else it will fail.

Nothing more to say.
..Ride the SIDwave!!
http://www.janharries.com
rambones
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by rambones »

VOSLA: I think you are a really funny guy! :D

I have no clue if you come to bit on saturday, but i wish you would!
..Ride the SIDwave!!
http://www.janharries.com
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

rambones wrote:VOSLA: I think you are a really funny guy! :D
I have no clue if you come to bit on saturday, but i wish you would!
Sorry, can't make it! :( I wish I could!
My life performance at being funny is of that unconscious kind... more like being a complete jerk... even without the proper amount of beer. On the other hand if I manage to get properly drunk, you will be spared from comprehensible ramblings cozz me speakinnn gedds sslurrry ang combletlly umcrmpsbll..ffss?!
All is lost.