Webspace...?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Webspace...?

Post by AnimaL »

hi there ;)

i´m new here. i made a remix and submitted it to RKO and it´s now in the queue list. i don´t know wheter it´ll be rejected or it will be taken into the collection. :roll: so i want to release it here in the c64 release thread.
so far so good ...;)
but i don`t know a single website wich gives webspace for free (shame on me**). so if anyone of you guys may help me please? where to get free webspace - with no restrictions like FILESIZE MAX. 5MB or NO MP3 FILES ALLOWED... well thank you in advance;)

Animal / Defect
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I do webhosting with a fast seller based in the UK but with servers based in the US. I can do whatever space/bandwith you want, and am relatively cheap as I use it to pay for my forum costs. For example, 100meg/2gig a month $60 a year...
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

@madfiddler

thanx for your fast reply. but i´m looking for some more free ;) i just want to store a single file and the traffic would not be that high i think. but thank you anyway ;)

Animal / Defect
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Go sign up at (( http://www.dmf.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl )) filehosting is free for members with more than 25 posts.

Then post your mix in here:
http://www.dmf.kicks-ass.net/cgi-bin/ya ... oard=retro
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

@matrix

i suscribed and i cannot post replys...i cannot even display the forum contents...
dispite i really don´t know what to say in that 25 posts i need to upload...

thank you anyway.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

You dont read huh, ok no prob, ill fill you in.

After you registered, you get a screen that says "you must now wait for your forum account to be activated pending IP check".... we've had issues in the past with spammers and this is our way of keeping them out.

As for 25 posts, thats about getting you active as a part of the community, after all nothing is truely free... everything takes SOME effort on some1's part - btw, then you DO get activated, there 25 threads a page and 42 forums covering a multitude of topics from pc help to film reviews, retro and online gaming and general music.... if you cant find 25 posts.. well..... im just flaberghasted lol ... i didnt know anyone could walk around carrying no opinions on anything worth 25 posts lol ...

Some of our members have 4000 upwards :)

Anyways - if you decide to pursue it, good luck, if not theres always paid hosting :) - After all, if you cant expend the effort, and sacrefice the time to make a small mesily number of posts, why should anyone expend the same energy to host your stuff free ? After all, youre not actually paying for any bandwith even if youre music is downloaded a thousand times... I am.... and offering it free...... that takes effort, especially to someone you dont know.

EDIT:
Your account has been activated and youre welcome email should be with you soon, accounts stand for 30 days before being automaticly removed from the system as inactive if unused. This ensures that the number you see under "members" are all actively posting or have started posting.

Its not overly fair, but it is easy to manage... and nobody wants a database full of dead weight thats never coming back - thats just a waste of paid for space that could be used for better things :)

Just my 2p :D
Last edited by Matrix on 03/10/2004 - 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

@matrix

thanks alot! i´ll sneak around and participate.

Animal/Defect
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Okie Dokey...

Ill just fill u in on a couple of extra things..

You need 800 posts to be able to grant and strike karma points. Ppl will usually give karma freely if you participate and get on with ppl well. When you reach 25 karma, you can start buying things from the karma shop... and these are REAL things, like one member is offering a bottle wine for 5 karma :) - 50 karma means you get to be able to open your own karma shop.

Immediately available to you is free image hosting and the members ftp. Hosting files in the webspace takes 25 posts or 5 karma.

It may look complex but it works :) We have absolutly no pricks in the community and every1 does their level best to get on with each other. Thats the setup - hope u like it :) Just like a game really... the more posts u make, the more karma u get, the more stuff opens up and becomes available to you :) The only person that limits the progression ..... IS YOU THE POSTER :D lol ....

Effort is rewarded, always is on my boards :)

Enjoy :D
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

@ matrix

really nice work over there ;)

i posted a bit and my intrest raised but now it´s down :shock:

what happened??
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Hmm shouldnt be... theres 3 ppl on at the moment.... but sometimes if theres 2 perl calls at the same time, one loses out n gets a page not found error ... also this is a self hosting apache solution, so allow for reboots n stuff... The server DOES trip every now n again but i rest it every time that happens and its not as often as it has been in the past.

Sad thing is that till i get my new pc finished (when the geforce 6600 comes out here in the uk) this hosting machine is handling everything from email and IM to my photoshop work and games....

Im sure itll ease up as soon as this system is a dedihost and not a multipart multiuser system.
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

hm thats pity

i wanted my mix over there... :cry:

i need feedback ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Hehe, no probs....

Some1 was uploading the Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942 into the members FTP. To upload your mix, go look at the top section of forums, the one you need is "DOWNLOADS AND FTP" theres a sticky post at the top containing login info.

:)

btw the files finished now and the bandwidth is freed up again, you should be ok again :D

Being on 512 RADSL is crap as i can only kick out 30k max and take 70k max in - so when 1 or 2 ppl enter the ftp..... of course the forum suffers. But hey - its free lol .....
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

ok anything´s fine now!

thanks!
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Just a heads up, some1 is upload a full 800megs worth into the ftp, so access maybe on/off ish for the next few hours.... if u dont hit up right away come back in 5 and try again :)
AnimaL
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AnimaL »

i´m posting right now...

i put it in music/famous gameremixes
ok??

thanks alot matrix
;)