The Greenee Smiley ......

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well, appologies for my taste in music RK, but write for yourself, not for the votes, or the one. I dont know, but you may not like trance or ambient, like Crystal Dreamscapes - but I do... and that would get my thumbs up - i also love lekky guitar... in many guises, but as with everything, i have my own tastes n values. I dont actually vote or rate for exactly this reason. The question should be... am i alone in that sentiment.

Oh well, either way, Merry Xmas :)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Tas wrote:or heavens above.. maybe someone didn't actually like it?
Well, this is a rating system. If someone isn't able to judge a bit more distinguished than whether he likes the song or not, he simply shouldn't rate.
One should never forget that at remix64 the compositions already have been done, thus the judgement of remixes is naturally more about how it has been done.
IMO. :)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

heh... from a remixers point of view.. ive never really given two shits about the faces that are given.. what i care about is the comment afterwards (now it is made available).. if the googler or the grumpy face person doesnt wanna add a comment i dont mind i just put that down too taste and im not catering specifically for them, they didnt like it sei la vei... and those that googly face and say things like "it can eat a bowl of f***" i appreciate cos at least they aired an opinion with it and aint afraid to say what they are thinking at the time... :twisted: ... <Whistles>

despite the fact that i joke about people making comments about the "mastering" issue ie NEIL!... i actually appreciate that kind of honesty and it helps me in the long run, but neil or anyone could put a googly face and say its a great tune i just couldnt be bothered to press the red button sorry..., and it wouldnt bother me.. the comment was appreciated.. sod the face.

sod the placing in the remix charts.... i dont care i never have cared and i never will care.. im just happy that jan lets me put my artistic recreations of other peoples work onto his webspace, lman/chris let me express my opinion here and that the z show take the piss out of it and me on a regular basis and long do i hope it to continue.. :D.

theres my 2p.. cos i aint very rich at the second.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Romeo Knight wrote:
Tas wrote:or heavens above.. maybe someone didn't actually like it?
Well, this is a rating system. If someone isn't able to judge a bit more distinguished than whether he likes the song or not, he simply shouldn't rate.
One should never forget that at remix64 the compositions already have been done, thus the judgement of remixes is naturally more about how it has been done.
IMO. :)
Can't agree more actually, but since the world is a wonderfully diverse world and people have different opinions on what is good and what is not who am i to say whats right and whats wrong!!!!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Infamous wrote: despite the fact that i joke about people making comments about the "mastering" issue ie NEIL!... i actually appreciate that kind of honesty and it helps me in the long run, but neil or anyone could put a googly face and say its a great tune i just couldnt be bothered to press the red button sorry..., and it wouldnt bother me.. the comment was appreciated.. sod the face.
heh, inf... you know me, i can't help but speak my mind on these things. Although sometimes my remarks can be straight to the bone they are never ment to be melicious, they are just direct and to the point.

Some people, like you inf can see that i am only ever being honest which i appreciate. I'm not the type of person to say i like something when infact i don't just because i want to be nice.

There's too many YES sirs in this world
Retrovertigo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Retrovertigo »

Not liking a tune is one thing. Not appreciating it for what it is, a musical compostion, is just something i cannot fathom. :?
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Extremes are always difficult to handle. In my mind, the voting system should be somehow guided and controlled. The current rating system is ok, but it relies too much on people's ability to handle the issue right. So, what I suggest would be enhancing the voting system instead of replacing it totally. The new steps in the enhanced voting process would be:
  1. The voting links should appear only after listening to the full tune at least once. This can be done with creative use of Flash for example. I'm not the fan of it but in this case it could work.
  2. If you vote the either extreme (red/green) you have to provide at least two sentences for shout box. If you vote one less (orange/light green) you'd have to provide at least one sentence of comment. The middle two votes can be left without comments.
  3. If the comments are garbage, they can be removed by the admin(s) as usual. In a later phase votes/shouts containing insightful commentary could be selected as premium contentby the users/admins and presented as the first in the shouts list.
  4. All steps should be equipped with some kind of small guidelines for voting. These shouldn't be too strict or detailed, just basic ones like "consider these aspects of the song..." etc. These could be presented in flash during the play, fading in and out. In that way the effect could be partly subliminal. Or something like that.
  5. Votes should expire in 1,5 years or so. I'm not sure about this myself and how it would work but this way you'd have to re-evaluate the tune in context of the current level of remixing. This could be done in a centralised page with all your votes, expired ones shown only to you until you re-evaluate them by either confirming the vote or changing it.
Ok, I know this isn't perfect (mainly the fact that it would raise the bar to vote anything but the center votes and lead to lesser votes in general), but it does have the needed guidance and control for the voting process to be actually useful. Which, in my opinion, is essential to get results that actually benefit the scene as a whole and each of us in person.

As for the user, the added work would essentially be pretty minimal. You'd have to sit through the one listening of the tune more and be more vocal about your choices but that's about it. All in all, this way the current system coult be augmented with new reliability and features without too much of a strain in the technical side (beside the possible date stamp in the voting entry).

Sumppi
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Tas wrote:since the world is a wonderfully diverse world and people have different opinions on what is good and what is not who am i to say whats right and whats wrong!!!!
Well, you're a mature man, supposed to have his opinions too.

:wink:
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

did i not give an opinion DHS when i said...

I can't agree more?