Today's Amigas

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Heres a cheaper way...

Use a library or internet cafe :)
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Well I've completely given up on Amiga!

The screengrap from Matrix's 1st post is a blatant rip-off of MacOS X (not that I'm a Apple fan).

Basically AmigaInABox (although old now) with WinUAE would do just as good job as that AmigaOne.
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I wouldnt refute that at all, except you have the lack of PPC support. I like the mac OS... within reason.... theres a lot about it i dont like, but then thats true of XP. Whats amazing about AmigaOS is its windows friendy and has a full CLI where as XP did away with that in favour of a much smaller "shell" in the litteral sense, and MacOS has no CLI at all which i find intensely disturbing.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Matrix wrote:MacOS has no CLI at all which i find intensely disturbing.
Err, under what rock have you been for the last five years? :) Mac OS X has full unix base with shell, remote access, blah blah yada yada.

Sumppi
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

OOOOOoooooo000000oooo....... *peeps out from rock* ... its still a mac, call me in 20 years...... *finds his happy place again* :lol:
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

Lol,
finally Mac got a shell :)
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Now THATS Retro lol ...... its also a case of apple actually listening to its customers :) Being a person that spends a good deal of time working in a shell, i find it a very handy thing to have in any OS.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Matrix wrote:its also a case of apple actually listening to its customers :)
Well, if you build an OS by taking Mach kernel (or rather the whole OpenStep) as basis, add some Net/FreeBSD parts and spice it up with loads of Free/Open source software it's kinda essential to have the shell along with the pretty GUI ;)

Not that you actually need to use the shell to use OS X, but I haven't seen any usable GUIs for the more complex tools - yet.

Sumppi
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

DHS wrote:Well, at that price one could buy the minimac, the big problem is with expandability, a factor totally absent in the new machine.
Thing is, not many people both expanding machines these days. Most just buy the odd external device as and when they need.

It'll be interesting to see if the mini sells. Most of the press has been positive (with the obvious exception of The Times, which seems to hate everything Apple does).
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

< < Times

(sorry, but there you have it, i had a bad experience with apple-mac's that cost me a job.... i hate them)
tony.rc
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by tony.rc »

Just a follow-up:
The Micro-AmigaOne and Amiga OS4 Developer Prerelease (arstechnica.com)

Get ready to hold your breath!
Chrome - keeping the Aussie scene alive
Xelebes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Xelebes »

Me and a few of my friends were marveling at the Mini Mac - noting it is less succeptible to heat, which makes it a very good unit if one were to do a Live PA set. After my PC Upgrades, I'm getting a MiniMac and seeing if I can work Reason to being a lovely live pa computer.
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Expensive Macs? You kidding?

Post by Slaygon »

Jan Lund Thomsen wrote:I want one too. No idea why, though. Except of course that it's a cheap way to try out OS X. :D
That's basically why I wanted mine. =)