RallyeMaster (Late night autobahn edit)

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

RallyeMaster (Late night autobahn edit)

Post by stainlesssteel »

Original Amiga mod by Karsten Obarski

Originally i wanted to do a cover of "Scrambled Mind" by Heatbeat.
But it just wouldnt work so decided to try this one.
There are still some lose ends in the arrangement.

Im still working on it.

Thats gonna be one big qeue on amigaremix.com

The file ended up being kinda big, due to my favor for high bitrates and 48khz. Sorry for that.

http://www.ic-roedermark.de/rallyemaster.mp3 (10 MB)
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Update

Post by stainlesssteel »

I uploaded a updated version. I improved the mixing (i think) and some minor changes.
I think i will submit this version to amigaremix.com, unless anyone has something suggestions on improving the track.
Im happy about anyone who takes the time to listen to the track and tell me his thoughts.

Generally speaking, i would very much welcome anyone who would take the grace of maybe
sharing some insight on what they do to get the "right" sound in the mixdown process.

Until recently i havent bothered much about doing a proper "mixdown" or what you want to call it.
I just cranked up the EQ roughly according to my own gusto.

Ive just got a hold of "T-Racks" that i put on the master output on the mixing console and tweak
the knobs a bit, without really knowing if im making it worse or better.

Also i try to EQ all the instruments a bit differently, so that certian sounds dont overlap and cause unpretty results.
The same goes for the stereo panning, i try to avoid having to much weight on one side.

Other than that, i really never understood how a compressor works.
Ive had it explained a dozend times, ive read articles about it. But i still dont get it.

Hell, the word itself "compressor" sounds cool, so it has to be good for something.

However, *me know it make good boom, ugh*. Not allways and only when used with care. So what the heck.
I like to subgroup the drums and percussions and put a compressor on it with a given preset.

I also put the entire T-Racks vst on the Master output (which includes : EQ, Tube Compressor, Multiband limiter and a soft-clipper)

Now the names of those things alone sound so stunning, i had to use it.
Ok, ive played around with EQ's long enough, i know remotely how to use them on my music.
But what is does a Multiband limiter do ? or the Softclipper ?

Could i be bothered ? Well, i could have but instead i just stuck to the included presets, and boy where there a many of them.
With all those dandy sounding names like "28-20K Bandwidth limiter" or "Classic 3 bands lim".
I dont really have a clue what that means, so i just let my ear decide.

After all is done (is it ever?) i stream it to wav in 48 khz with 16bit and then encode it with LAME on 128-320Kbits with 48khz (lowpass filter off, slowest & best setting)

What do you think ?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Update

Post by DHS »

stainlesssteel wrote:Other than that, i really never understood how a compressor works.
Ive had it explained a dozend times, ive read articles about it. But i still dont get it.
Have a good read to the "Mastering with Ozone" guide:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html

it's dedicated to Izotope Ozone, but the principles apply to about every product allowing you to do what the "all in one" Ozone does.

It's a very clean text and a good kickstart in understand mastering (and, for the matter, how a compressor works).

cheers.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by stainlesssteel »

Thanks for the link dhs, while reading the intro to the document i had quite a few dejavus and laughs.

Would you recommend this ozone thing ? have you used it yourself ?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

No. I don't like it at all.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by stainlesssteel »

No. I don't like it at all.
Hmm, well anyway. I will take a look at the thing.
stainlesssteel
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by stainlesssteel »

Very informational read there. It does manage to get the concepts across.

Ive also had a go with the plugin itself and oh my, is this nice.
Thanks again for the information, wether you like ozone or not it looks (and sounds) great to me.

Ofcourse professional studio equipment probably outperforms this vst substancially.

But since im not that fortunate to have any of that, i think im gonna stick to this.