XP compatible XG soft synth?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

XP compatible XG soft synth?

Post by Feekzoid »

Does anyone know of a decent WORKING software based synth of Yamaha XG that will operate in XP?

I miss XG despite having all the sounds at my disposal, but the main reason is that I have a load of nice XG midi's that I would like to hear from time to time, even if it means converting them to mp3.

I still have in my drawer here my trusty Yamaha SW60XG card, but alas, it is an ISA card, and I have not had an ISA slot in a long long time.

Sondius made an XG softsynth... but it doesent work in XP.

If all else fails I suppose I can hook up me Korg, but its implementation was not exact.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

I've used the Yamaha XG softsynth a lot. So big was the disappointment when XP came and it didn't work on it. Its really a great piece of software. However Yamaha released an XP version which I've used as well. A couple of weeks ago I checked Yamaha's website and I couldn't access the XG site. Today may be a different story. Anyway I think I have a copy of the install but I'm sitting at a borrowed laptop until my new computer parts arrive.
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

Well I've got the korg hooked up at the mo, and its giving a reasonable output, but it misses some of the effects. Some of these XG songs are still pretty amazing to these ears.

Would still appreciate it if anyone knows of an solution for XG in XP!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Didn't I just answer your question? I guess a couple of days is too long to wait. :~) By the way, as far as I remember the only thing I had to do to extend the trial period was to set the clock back.
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

exoskeleton wrote:Didn't I just answer your question? I guess a couple of days is too long to wait. :~) By the way, as far as I remember the only thing I had to do to extend the trial period was to set the clock back.
Ah... there was no indication of timescale in your post ;)
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Nevermind my post anyway. It appears here is a shortage of Socket 939 / PCI Express motherboards in Denmark so it'll be a couple of weeks instead of a couple of days. :/
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

You could run W98 inside Virtual PC as a workaround and use whatever you used to use earlier, check out http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx

Of course, not a really viable solution for the budget conscious.

Sumppi
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

The virtual PC idea was a stunner..

and it nearly worked too.

Unfortunately audio playback in virtualPC is dodgy at best, and unfortunately doing virtual synthesis results in slo-ow and choppy playback :(

I'll figure something out.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Feekzoid wrote:Unfortunately audio playback in virtualPC is dodgy at best, and unfortunately doing virtual synthesis results in slo-ow and choppy playback :(
There's no offline export in the player? That way you could export the songs in mp3 and be done with the w98 eventually :)

Sumppi
Feekzoid
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Feekzoid »

Hmmm. dont think so. Dont remember the SYXG100 software having that feature, and up checking... it didnt!

:(

Have found allegedly XP compliant software fix tho...
fnordpojk
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by fnordpojk »

I got Yamaha's XG softsynth bundled with my sound card. If you want me to dig it out, just send me an email or equivalent.
XGener8or
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by XGener8or »

I did it the easy way, got a Yamaha MU100R external module :P Actaully I already got it in the Win98 days so I never had the problem with softsynths, :lol: