London activity suggestions and meeting?

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

London activity suggestions and meeting?

Post by sumppi »

Hey,

I booked a little trip to London for me and my girlfriend for next weekend (2nd to 4th of September) and I need some suggestions on suitable activities to do while in there. I tried checking for any concerts but it seems I can't find a single decent website to check for the activities.

Yes, this is the part where you, dear community members, come in with your excellent ideas. Additional points are awarded for suitably geeky activities involving computers, comics, movies and such - as long as the geekyness level stays tolerable :)

Oh, and if anyone's up for a meeting with possibly some alcohol related activity in some pub, I might be interested to participate in such an event ;)

Sumppi
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Visit the Arcades and Flight Sim in the Troccadero Centre..... Do the London Eye too, and a small tip - If you go walking, stay on the parliament side of the Thames, the other side is mostly industrial and taxi's wont stop.

As for geeky, you could always visit the sets of some of the Dr Who show nr St Pauls, or a visit to Forbidden Planet is good.
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Matrix wrote:Visit the Arcades and Flight Sim in the Troccadero Centre..... Do the London Eye too, and a small tip - If you go walking, stay on the parliament side of the Thames, the other side is mostly industrial and taxi's wont stop.
Gotta surf to see what those are all about, though we're not much into traditional tourist thingies (we've been twice in New York and haven't seen even a glimpse of the Statue yet;)). Instead we mainly just hang around and waste time.
Matrix wrote:As for geeky, you could always visit the sets of some of the Dr Who show nr St Pauls, or a visit to Forbidden Planet is good.
Excellent, thanks for reminding me about FP! Just what we're after ;)

Sumppi
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

If you're going near the London Eye, don't forget the Namco Arcade two doors up from it.
Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: London activity suggestions and meeting?

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

sumppi wrote:Additional points are awarded for suitably geeky activities involving computers, comics, movies and such - as long as the geekyness level stays tolerable :)
Forbidden Planet. Oh yes! :D
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

If you visit Bromley South (15 minutes on the train from Victoria), you get to meet ME :) That's very geeky!

Though I don't think the DVD will be available at that time...

Chris
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Dont bother with the Troc centre, it used to be good (ie:it had Guitar Freaks in it) but now its pants

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

It was good back in the days of SEGA Centre and ALIEN WAR, but like Dan says, its a bit shit nowadays - worth visiting for a go on the drop seat and the flight sim though. I went on that thinking "hey, its a puter game, no problem".... I almost puked when I came off it :lol: so much for trying the yaw-into-flat spin-into buzzsaw roll. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Matrix wrote:It was good back in the days of SEGA Centre and ALIEN WAR, but like Dan says, its a bit shit nowadays - worth visiting for a go on the drop seat and the flight sim though. I went on that thinking "hey, its a puter game, no problem".... I almost puked when I came off it :lol: so much for trying the yaw-into-flat spin-into buzzsaw roll. :lol: :lol: :lol:
That doesn't sound too appealing ;)

Sumppi
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

What about the London Dungeon? I visited it once in folkschool ( don't ask :lol: ). It displayed various grotesque methods of torture from the middle ages. I finished the tour by getting my head superimposed onto a schwarzzenegger torso. Hey, it looked cool back then; lost the poster tho. :lol:
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

exoskeleton wrote:What about the London Dungeon? I visited it once in folkschool ( don't ask :lol: ). It displayed various grotesque methods of torture from the middle ages. I finished the tour by getting my head superimposed onto a schwarzzenegger torso. Hey, it looked cool back then; lost the poster tho. :lol:
That sounds awesome! The only thing is that apparently my gf has already been there while living in the UK for three years. Damn :)

Sumppi
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Well if you like your footie then why not go and see how the new WEMBLEY STADIUM is coming on :wink:
dan gillgrass

Post by dan gillgrass »

Dont forget about the museums, the Nat History Museum rules, there is also the planitarium

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

danceaway wrote:Well if you like your footie then why not go and see how the new WEMBLEY STADIUM is coming on :wink:
I think I'll wait for the Pink Floyd Reunion Tour to hit there until I go - all sports events are classified no-no ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though, I'd love to see it at some point.

Sumppi
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

The London Dungeon is great fun :)

Not really a big fan of London really, massively over rated place. I'm very much like you Sumps i'm not very touristy either.

Went up the Empire State Building when in NY and simply thought "yep, big building" and ofcourse "Get me fooking down from here" ;)