Amiga music as wav file

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
AmiGamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Amiga music as wav file

Post by AmiGamer »

I've been playing around a bit with Sidplay, and i particularly enjoy its possibility to extract single channels of a tune to wav format. Great for remixing... :)
Since I'm not at all familiar with Amiga sound files (frankly speaking, i don't even know which file extension they have *lol*), I was wondering if there's a way to do this with Amiga sound files too? I'd even be happy if I found a way to get a full Amiga tune to .wav (using a better way than to record it to tape from my WinUAE emulator and then record it back into the computer :D ) , but getting single channels of it to wav would be perfect.
Any input on this topic would be highly appreciated.. thanks in advance!
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Amiga music files have mostly .mod at the end.

I have converted my amiga tracks to pc and i can load them up in a tracker program and save each individial sample from there.
You can also see the notes there :)

I think you can extract music files from the adf file where the mod is in.

Don't have time right now to check, have to go to work ;)

Anyone else? :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Tonka
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Tonka »

Most soundcards should now have a 'record what you hear' option in the volume control section for windows (at least that's what it's called on the Audigy).

To record a whole track it would be best to select 'record what you hear', set your sample editor (Cool edit etc) recording and then open up Win UAE and load the game/tune you want. The other option is to send the output right into the input of your sound card (instead of to your tape machine - just watch out for feedback) ;)

For recording specific tracks, getting the tune you want in .mod format would be the best solution, as Trace has said. Plenty of players and tracker programs support the .mod format, so it would just be a question of muting the appropriate channels and rendering or recording the ones you need.

I've got some links to sites which host old Amiga .mod files at home - I will pm them to you this evening.

Regards,

Tonka
AmiGamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmiGamer »

Thanks for your help. Correct, using the "what you hear" option of my cound card should do the trick... duh.. I feel stupid now for not having thought of this :oops:
Also, thanks for the information regarding the amiga sound file extension - finally I have some google fodder! *l*
trace> extracting the mods from adf files sounds great, as I have a lot of them... would you happen to know a good software I can do that with?
Tonka> I'm looking forward to this link list... I'll be looking for a good tracking program to extract single channels with as soon as i get home...

Again, thanks for all your help, this is highly appreciated!
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

If you're on a PC, Mod4Win is a good mod player, also you can get delitracker which is also good (and based on the amiga version).

Mod4Win has a native write to hdd mode anyway, not sure if it works on single channel or just the entire thing.

Ste.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

http://www.ghisler.com/plugins.htm

Here you can download Total commander and a plug in to extract files from .adf files.

Haven't tryed it myself tought :)

Hope it works :)

A GREAT place to search for amiga stuff is http://www.back2roots.org/

Good luck :)
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
AmiGamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmiGamer »

After testing various products, I think mod4win is the best tool for my purposes... I'm very happy with the results so far... it enabled me to do what I originally had in mind (recording single mod channels to wav). The only problem that is left is how to rip mod files from adf files (trace> I tried the total commander thingy but somehow it doesn't work for me, after installing the plugin, some (not many, though) adf files can be opened and reveal their contents but i'm unable to find any mod files in there... i'll keep on trying, though, maybe i'll find something on back2roots.org)
Again, thank you all very much, you've been of great help!
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Post by DeAdLy_cOoKiE »

Mod4win is excellent to make a raw wav of a mod.

Have you tried the ripper feature in winuae? That aside, pretty much every mod can be downloaded from internet if you look hard enough.
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

The official RenderXM page (http://www.voxengo.com/renderxm *) appears to be down, but I got another link from the company, and its freeware. It supports sinc interpolation and should be able to channels into separate files; both command line and shell access and supports sinc interpolation for maxium sound quality.

http://www.voxengo.com/temp/RenderXM_19_setup.exe

Don't know how for long it will work.

* Also discussed in this old thread.

ps. AMP, ftp.modland.com.

edit. I'm not so sure about RenderXM anymore but its an alternative at least.
Last edited by xo on 01/05/2006 - 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
FFRenzy
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by FFRenzy »

Some places to get Mods :

http://www.modarchive.com/ ( Non-Amiga too, like XM, IT, S3M etc. )
http://www.exotica.org.uk/ ( Amiga tunes and other stuff )
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO what a ride'