Copyright question

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
AmiGamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Copyright question

Post by AmiGamer »

Hello fellow re-mixers,
I'm currently working on an experimental new remix... I found out that one Amiga tune uses almost exactly the same harmonies as a more or less famous film soundtrack...
So what I'm doing now is, I'm mixing these two things together.. I created a WAV file of the original film soundtrack (from the original CD) and laid the (just slightly modified) Amiga tune over it.
Sounds great so far, but now I'm a bit worried about the copyright thing. After all, this remix includes a full original version of a film soundtrack of which I don't own the copyright...
Do you think it would be legal to upload this remix here?
How is the copyright thing dealed with anyway, after all, we don't have the copyright to any Amiga tunes we re-mix?
Are we all little criminals? *l*
This has been on my mind much lately... I'd be grateful for any insight you can offer..
Cheers,
AmiGamer
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, the answer is almost always the same to these questions:

Yes, the track you've created is technically "a derivative work" which also infringes the "phonographic rights" of the creators.

Practically speaking, no one cares much unless you try and sell it. Even if you're exploiting it commercially, it's pointless trying to get permission because lawyer time is over £200 per hour, and the amount the film company would stand to gain is less than the amount of money they'd have to spend on lawyers to create the contract.

It's good sense to credit all the source material, though.

So, to summarise:

a) yes, it is a copyright infringement
b) people don't mind about this kind of thing unless there's money involved. Even getting a "cease and desist" letter can be £200 unless
you've got in-house lawyers.
we don't have the copyright to any Amiga tunes we re-mix?
No, you don't, though you do own the copyright to the remix you do. Differerent people would own different rights.

Chris
AmiGamer
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by AmiGamer »

Hi Chris,
thank you very much for your response. What you say does absolutely make sense... guess i'll try and upload my remix then. :)
And, of course, i will provide full information about the soundtrack piece in it... it's a matter of style, isn't it... :)
Regards,
AmiGamer
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Responsible, forward thinking, considerate questions. Welcome to the forum Ami... :D