Acoustic performances

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

madfiddler wrote:
Chris Abbott wrote:An entire CD of Rob Hubbard and madfiddler doing their acoustic thing? Why, it's undreamed of, and certainly not in the works. Oh dear me no. Whatever gave you such an idea??

Chris
Um, well..... er.... :) Watch this space, cos this is something Rob and I have talked about and agreed to do.. Rob's not convinced that it would sell anything, so any support would be appreciated...
No Chris on bongos???

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I think Rob and I will discuss more soon. He's sent some stuff through to me, but I've been practising for this damn Ceilidh I'm playing in, and recording my old Dark Omen music for a cd release...

It's a definate must though. Rob just didn't think it would make any cash, but after speaking to Chris we think it could do 300 units... be great if it was more, lol.

The studio thing problem is why this could work really well. Rob can record his stuff as midi, and I can record my stuff here with my electro/acoustic and mix here... Shouldn't be too hard, even I should be able to cope with that! :)

As for skirts... get your coats now!!! :)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Eeewwwww Quantising....... :cry:
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Matrix wrote:Eeewwwww Quantising....... :cry:
It IS possible to record MIDI without quantising y'know (MIDI resolution is pretty good if you record at a good PPQ. You just don't... y'know... quantise it.

Or did I misunderstand something?

Chris
DeAdLy_cOoKiE

Post by DeAdLy_cOoKiE »

Quantisize.

A necessity if you're doing midi (in Cubase). Same goes for Legato.
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

who said anything about quantising?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

DeAdLy_cOoKiE wrote:Quantisize.

A necessity if you're doing midi (in Cubase). Same goes for Legato.
Er... no it isn't. You record the MIDI events as they come in. Sure, you might have a problem with barlines and tempos if you wanted to slap a loop on, but since Mark will be playing live in accompaniment, it doesn't matter. The original performance is preserved to a resolution of up to 960ppq, which is plenty.

I'm sure Rob won't be playing to a click track or anything.

Chris
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

The way we'll prolly do it, is Rob records his midi, I'll record my violin and send back to Rob to re-record since the violin should be leading the tempo.

We'll see...
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

This certainly sounds like a very interesting idea, i'd certainly buy this CD when it is released. I though the performance of you two guys at "lite" was excellent (even though I had no idea who you were :) ).

Anyway, best of luck to you both on your projects, looking forward to this immensely.

Ste.
Sidman 64
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sidman 64 »

Great idea for Mark & Rob to do a acoustic CD 8)
I think it would be nice if you add a bit of B-D & is Flute collection onto some of the tracks :wink:
Just a thought :D
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Slick2097 wrote:I had no idea who you were

Ste.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Slick2097
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Slick2097 »

Tis true .. i'd heard the names and the tunes but never seen the faces behind them... I know now however.

I turned up mainly for the retro gaming part, the concert was an added bonus (I assumed stuck in d'80's were a tribute band :/ got that *totally* wrong didn't I) .... Now i'm a real convert. I've always loved video game music across many different systems, and thanks to BitLite I had an experience i'll never forget.

Now to pick up the courage to speak to the musicians without going all fanboy on them at the next event :)

Ste.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Thats true... I still havent spoken to Rob properly, or Ben.... but although im like AWW YEAH, im also "respect the guy, he's getting loads of attention, I dont need to add to that"... Actually Ben was like "yeah yeah" as in "heard it all before" so I didnt continue other than to say nice performance.

Madfiddler is more down to earth and easier to talk to imho. I tried to talk to marcel at bitlite and he didnt seem in the slightest bit interested, so I didnt push. Kwed was awesome as were many others and I had a great time, but ya the fanboy thing kinda strains at times and you do need to keep a bit of a lid on it at certain times; though I fully appreciate the enthusiasm we all have.

The easiest people to talk to I have found are Theo & Jesper (PPOT), PP Lee(writer), David Whittaker and Martin Galway. SIR86 is a nice chap, a little hard to talk to and I dont think ppl give his graphics as much attention as they deserve.
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

im also "respect the guy, he's getting loads of attention, I dont need to add to that"...
So ya speak to me instead, hehe... no respect there,, haha... only kidding matey :twisted:

Don't worry, I had a bit of a fanboy moment with Rob when we were boozed up :D
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

What made it wierd for me, is that i've met many celebs before 1 on 1 discussions etc, so it was easy for me to keep my head. Saturday night, I guided Chris (With Rob Hubbard in the passenger seat) out of the dark car park with the black painted gates.

I could see Chris was having issues seeing, so i went upto Robs window and said "Sorry Rob (because i was talking across him) ... need a hand backing out" to whit Chris said yes. I was perfectly normal through the whole thing, and I was being as helpful as I could. In reallity, im next to Rob Hubbard and creaming my pants. Heh, go figure.

My fanboy moments happen on the inside, mainly because experience tells me that if you talk shop, celebs generally arent interested because they have done it a zillion times, and been told over and over again how amazing they are - I just treat celebs like regular people, and leave the LSD style trippin' moments in my head. For some reason that gets you a lot further than "we're not worthy" (on your knees. Ref: Waynes World)

@Mark: I have every respect for a guy that can dance at the same time as playing a fiddle, while being slightly merry, while losing his gear and just carry on. THATS Showmanship / Professionalism. R-E-S-P-E-C-T Due...