The Rise and Fall of Commodore

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

The Rise and Fall of Commodore

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

http://www.commodorebook.com/

<B>"On The Edge - The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore"</B>

<I>The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore tells the story of Commodore through first-hand accounts by former Commodore engineers and managers.</I>

Could be nice reading, and addition to the bookshelf at home, eh? :mrgreen:
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
-------------------------------------------------------
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: The Rise and Fall of Commodore

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

Sonic Wanderer wrote:Could be nice reading, and addition to the bookshelf at home, eh? :mrgreen:
It better be. I ordered a copy yesterday. :D
Andreas Wallström
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Andreas Wallström »

I'm 1/3 in to the book. It's good and very interesting. Read two free chapters at http://www.c64hq.com
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

I've read it, it is very interesting. Some might find the start of the book pretty heavy going, where the emphasis is on MOS and the chip designs, but it does contain a lot of insight into how Commodore got to the top and then messed it up...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
neilsequeira

Long Live the Era - Technology Kills But Pc Saves The legacy

Post by neilsequeira »

:( Long Live the 4bit , 8 bit , 16 bit generation . Technology sux . :( . I never seen a Amiga or commodore 64 . but still i think those days were better . very little gadgets . too much entertainment . but Pc world has survived these legacies . ;) .
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

I recommend reading this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076153 ... e&n=283155

Mainly focusing on video games, though. So Atari, Nintendo, Sega and stuff like that, but it's a book in the same manner (I think, I've yet to get a copy of On The Edge :oops: ), with interviews from the inside people who built the industry.

It's flawed in one way that the author tends to repeat a lot of facts. Mainly to make each chapter more or less stand-alone, but I suspect the publisher payed him per word/page as well. But it's still a great read!
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Re: Long Live the Era - Technology Kills But Pc Saves The le

Post by Vosla »

neilsequeira wrote::( Long Live the 4bit , 8 bit , 16 bit generation . Technology sux . :( . I never seen a Amiga or commodore 64 . but still i think those days were better . very little gadgets . too much entertainment . but Pc world has survived these legacies . ;) .
Well, you missed out on Amiga and C64. But you also missed the shortcomings. I don't think it would be fun for you to wait 30mins for a game to load only to get a LOAD ERROR? on the last minute and to justage the Datasette per mano to wait another 30mins.

It's a completely other period of time and I think it we old farts will take that time with all it was worth for (and not) into our graves...
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

We had a 1541 from the start. But I bought a tape drive a few years later, because the games were cheaper on tape. :)