SID goes academic

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Rondo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

SID goes academic

Post by Rondo »

I received a rather interesting letter from my union today - a conference invitation. Nothing odd about that (although this is probably the first time I've been sent one via snailmail), but what really caught my eye was the programme. Apparently one of the conference themes is technology and music, and one of the talks under that theme is this:

Petri Saarikoski: Commodore 64, Instrument of Computer Music - The Cultural History of Sound Interface Device (SID)

Looks like an interesting event overall, too. I wonder if there's any way I could persuade my university to send me there on an expenses-covered trip...
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Oooh! Cool! Hope they pay for you trip. Sounds interesting.

I hope the conference is better than their site looks though. Yuk!
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Rondo
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Rondo »

Yeah, looks pretty nasty, but I don't think that reflects the quality of the conference, even though it is a first-timer. Doesn't look like it's going to be hardcore science, but the presentation topics seem interesting - not just the C64 one, I'd really like to see the one about next generation digital pianos too, for instance.

I don't seriously expect the ol' U. of O. would sign off my expenses, though, since I'm not presenting a paper. I might have a shot if I could make a convincing case for the conference being beneficial to my postgrad studies, but that would have to be one hell of a clever proposal... I guess I'll wait to see if I get accepted to this PhD programme I've applied for, the position would come with earmarked funding including a yearly allowance for attending conferences so that would give me some leverage.