Put hands on Glider Rider, any suggestions?

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Zuckerfrei

Put hands on Glider Rider, any suggestions?

Post by Zuckerfrei »

Hello to all you Sid-O-Philes out there!

I started some work on Glider Rider and spend like 2 days on it. Up to now the results sound like that:

<a href="http://falldorf.eu/mp3/Zuckerfrei_-_Gli ... Zuckerfrei - Glider Rider v2.0</a>

I am pretty new to arrangement and mixing, and therefore I would like to have some feedback of the experienced ppl here. What should I improve or work out? What do you think of it in general?

Claas
___
There are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can reason analytically. (Sherlock Holmes in 'A Study in Scarlet')
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Great start. May I suggest you look at 1:20-1:21 there is a note there that sounds a bit off to me, but I could be wrong.

Keep up the great work.
Last edited by Analog-X64 on 29/05/2006 - 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

My goodness, this is nice.

I'd pay some attention to those drums though: compressors are your friend (find a nice friendly preset in your favourite VST plugin).

Also, the bit straight after the piano break plods a bit slowly, and the piece only picks up again when it gets to the nice synthy bit. If you're going to have the piano survive on its own in that bit, you need possibly more ambience, whether that be a nicer reverb, better playing, more sparkle, or whatever.

There is the odd note as Analog-X says...

ideally I'd master this myself from the individually recorded dry WAV files... mmmm, individually recorded dry WAVs.... :)

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Zuckerfrei

thanks

Post by Zuckerfrei »

Thanks to both of you for those very welcome hints! :D

Indeed Chris, some more ambience will help the lonely piano. The off note, hmmm.... will check this very carefully (The harmonics are not TOO complicated, but may be some kind of interference?!).

Currently I struggle with the "Compressor/Limiter" device of my Rsn-Seq, but oftenly I end up with some kind of "pumping" effect. Nicely at times, but disturbing at others.

I will come up with a revised version in a few.
___
There are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can reason analytically. (Sherlock Holmes in 'A Study in Scarlet')
Zuckerfrei

off note

Post by Zuckerfrei »

Oh .... I just found that OFF note .... hehe ... ok I thought OFF refers to the harmonics. But obviously it is different from the original SID at 1:20... thx Analog-X.
___
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Not a problem. I'm working on Master of Magic at the moment and its funny I stopped listening for a few days. Went back and I could hear some mistakes I have to fix.

You have a great track going. Like Chris said the percussion can use some compression.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

agree with everything said so far.... really looking forward to the final release of this.

My only suggestion would be to stereo-expand the bass sounds as they sound a little thin. The drums could also do with some variations rather than the normal "boom-t-clap-t" :)
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Nice effort, Zuckerfrei!
Needs a bit more flesh here and there but it's a ncie start!
All is lost.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

this has got a right little bouncy feel to it.. i like it.

look forward to hearing the final version, reckon you could be onto a red face with me on this one :)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Ah, this sound pretty damn nice!

Might need some beefing up here and there, but so far I think it sounds great! It works.
-.. .--- / .--. . .-. .--. .-.. . -..- / ..-. .- -. / -.-. .-.. ..- -... / .--. .-. . ... .. -.. . -. -
Zuckerfrei

Post by Zuckerfrei »

Thanx for all the nice words.... :D

I will do my best to come up with a new (almost final) version by next week....