Worst Artwork - what's the worst peice you've seen, ever??

Forum Games, Funnies and other fun stuff. Post birthday wishes in the appropriate sub-forum.
Armand
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Worst Artwork - what's the worst peice you've seen, ever??

Post by Armand »

Now we've all wondered around Art Galleries where we come from in any part of the world and we've all at some point seen some art that takes our fancy or makes us think, yeah, i'd have that in my living room or study.

But have you ever seen a painting or sculpture that makes you think that the artist must have been on glue when he created it?

If you have then post them, it will be very interesting what gets posted up.

Here is one of my additions for you to have a look at. It is in the UK and has recently been erected and is considered by the residents at Castleford to be an "eyesore" and a waste of money, yet it is considered by those that commissioned it to be a work of art.

http://www.ysp.co.uk/view.aspx?id=414
"Certain death, small chance of success . . . what are we waitin' for?" -Gimli, ROTK

http://www.paintbox.hitart.com
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

That cratehouse is just... bizarre. We've got some "award-winning" public toilets in Cambridge, and they look horrible.

There's been some truly horrendous artwork on computer game covers over the years...
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

I'm sorry that I can't supply photos but the most stupid piece of "art" I've seen was a "sculpture" here in Schleswig. I don't know what kind of message the artist had in mind but... imagine:

Take a helicopter, load them with two (or more?) metallic cubes (several 100 pounds each I guess), position the heli above a city meadow and throw that cubes out so they plummet down into the grass. The artist wanted them to sink a bit into the grass (with one corner at best) but he didn't realized the mossy nature of the grass there, so the cube kind of rebounded and lay flat on one side. Pretty unimpressive. So he crapped the idea with the heli and got people to dig the cubes in on one edge.

Second place goes to a telephone box mounted on a floating pontoon. Nobody got any "artistic message" but people just thought it was a crazy advertising stunt by the local Telekom.

Both art works were sponsored with several ten thousands Euros because that philistines in our cityhall try to promote Schleswig as a "City of Arts". Same cityhall doesn't give a shit on supporting any youth projects but spend a lot of money hunting down sprayers (that 5 half wits).
All is lost.
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

£800,000.

'nuf said
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

This thread reminds me of the time i was in Leeds art gallery a few years back, looking at a picture of a train crossing a viaduct (odd perspective and media too). The curator came along for a chat, asked if I lked it, i said yes, but, when did the artist plan on finishing it... :lol: He was not amused...
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

I find most things that have been entered for the Turner prize over the last few years to be quite offensively shit.

Ahem, lets see.

Piece of Blu-Tak thumbed into a wall.
Tracy Emins bloody bed.
Lights turning on and off in a gallery.
Farly dull painting... Only noteworthy for the fact that the artist used some elephant poo.

I reckon if I went outside now, took a large dump on a paving stone, dug it up and entered it for a turner prize, I'd win.

It's stuff like that that made me give up on my art studies in despair.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
trace
Forum God
Forum God

Post by trace »

Steve B wrote:Image

£800,000.

'nuf said
Wow, that looks really scary! :shock:
(Carpe Diem Seize the day)
Soundcloud PowerTrace
c64-> /various/M-r/Noise_of_SID
Steve B
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Steve B »

^during the build ^

^close up^

^welcome to the northeast^

its bloody horrible
I C 64 People

Computers can never replace human stupidity
tomsk
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by tomsk »

Haddaway an' shite - it's bloody marvelous man!

Sorry - I couldn't resist a bite ;)

Then again - I guess art is contentious and gets people discussing at the very least. I pass the Angel everyday on the way to work, and it's even more impressive when you stand at the base looking up.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

tomsk wrote:Haddaway an' shite - it's bloody marvelous man!

Sorry - I couldn't resist a bite ;)

Then again - I guess art is contentious and gets people discussing at the very least. I pass the Angel everyday on the way to work, and it's even more impressive when you stand at the base looking up.
Providing the wind doesnt blow some rust in your face ? :twisted:
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

This thread is really well timed considering I've just come back from a few days in Edinburgh and admired many a good piece of art in many of the galleries there (especially the Phoebe Traquair stuff, really different and inspiring that is).

Anyway, my vote has to go for this rusty monstrosity:

It's a complete waste of time. The spikes keep falling off, so much so that all the area around the sculpture is blocked off permanently to avoid anyone suing the artist for being impaled!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

So when did superman get here :shock: