Ocean Loader 4.5

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Ocean Loader 4.5

Post by CraigG »

I'm interested to hear what really pleases C64 remix fans these days. While hardly the most original choices, it amazed me to see that Sonic Wanderer's excellent Ocean Loader mix was languishing at 62% prior to my enthusiastic review. It's catchy, fun, and the relentless beat makes is a cracking dance-floor contender, but 62%? Bizarre...
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

never ask... it's not ment for humans to understand... :roll:
All is lost.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

62%? That's ridiculous!

Ho hum. Sometimes I do wonder if the anonymous voting does more harm than good. Maybe we should expand the system so that the rating is based on review ratings and the anonymous rating is shown also: or weight the two or something.

Chris
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

so to say one rating by experts and one by everybody else? if is to be realized within reasonable limits (costs, time), this sounds good for me...now.
i once believed that the votings will even out... :?
All is lost.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Chris Abbott wrote:62%? That's ridiculous!
Yeah, well, my vote knocked it up to 67%, but guess what? it's already back down to 65%...
Ho hum. Sometimes I do wonder if the anonymous voting does more harm than good.
Well, part of the problem is people voting on the basis of the RKO clips rather than the entire MP3s. I'm still certain many people are knocking down stuff, too, for little reason. I wouldn't have made an issue out of this is this track hade've been in the 70s, but 62% just seemed daft for such a good track, subjectivity notwithstanding.
Maybe we should expand the system so that the rating is based on review ratings and the anonymous rating is shown also: or weight the two or something.
Two ratings could serve to confuse, but then there are plenty of sites that do such a thing, offering an "official" set of ratings, and then reader ratings.
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

I'm as breathtaken as you guys. What's wrong with this remix according to people? I don't think it's any worse than my other stuff, but it's rated even lower than my Paranoimia X-Mas remix (wich was made in a few hours).

The con-voters really should give their input in the forum, too. :?
-------------------------------------------------------
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Two ratings could serve to confuse,
Perhaps confusing the idiots is a good thing? :)

Chris
hoomish
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by hoomish »

Well, I've not heard the full version (downloading it now) but I thought the clip Sonic put up a few weeks back was superb... and I don't usually like this kind of remix! :wink:
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Someone has said it so well in a previous discussion of the voting-topic:
voting is like "being God" for a minute, and some little Gods even extend this to writing reviews...
putzi
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Erm, I take a little offence at that - I certainly don't liken reviewing to being 'God like', and do what I do on R64 because I like C64 remixes and can write (I do so for a living).
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

I've just checked the votes and now it's at 70%. with 11 votes cast.

In the early days when there are few votes it's likely to swing around a bit and one good or one bad vote can change the ratings by quite a percentage. A truer reflection is when around 20 votes have been cast and already with 11 votes the remix is climbing up the charts.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

It usually happens like this: Good tracks get released, they get high votes. After one or two days, the rather sceptical voters seem to emerge, and the track drops down plenty of ranks. In the following weeks, the mix then seems to slowly climb up again to its final rank. Happens all the time (Cirdan's LN3, Larsec's Arabian Zoids, Tom's Cobra to name only a few of the more popular examples).

As to the "expert charts" based on the review's rating: We've discussed this before, and I intended to actually make it happen. But this would require a lot more reviews, I'd say at least 3 reviews for every single track on RKO. The other idea was to actually make the review's rating weight like 3 times more than an anonymous vote.

About the deep drop of Sonic's (and several other remixes): In this case, it actually seems like tactical voting. Fortunately we had very little of this during the last year, but sometimes it just happens. I will investigate and "take the nessecary actions". :wink:

Take care,

- Markus :)
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Better now? :)
Sonic Wanderer
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Sonic Wanderer »

Holy cr*p, what happened??? :shock:

Did tactical voting really cause the early drop? I would sure want to get my hands on the guilty ones. :evil:

I mean, I actually felt really discouraged to make more music after that rock-bottom result, as I feel I put some real effort into the remix and like it as one of my better ones. :lol:

Thanks, Lman. I hope you didn't erase some "real" votes in the process.
- People say I'm crazy. They're probably right. -
-- Sonic - A noise in the corner of your ear... --
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

Craig: I did not think of you.
putzi