Platoon

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Platoon

Post by Infamous »

Heard ifadeo's version and decided to give mine another go

this things about 3 years old lol and ive gone over it time and time again so heres the WIP

http://infamous.ziphoid.com/platoontest

So whats different 3 years on?

a z3ta plugin (if it was a woman id want to marry it)
a slight change to structure, the complete destruction of the massively silly 2 minute long introduction that had loads of samples from the film platoon which got me rejected the 1st time.

What do i plan to do?

Outfit the drumbeat and put something else in there because i dont much like it, especially that 1st loop.. thats a royal barrel of arse.

refine the bassy bits a bit more and fiddle around with the funky moog line a bit more, mess around with EQ's a tad and then release it.

Soooo whilst the tunes in its infancy, lets hear some suggestions/comments etc etc you know im good at soaking them up (bmx thingie wouldnt have got a red face without the input i got from you guy's so i see it as invaluable) so hit me with it!.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Re: Platoon

Post by skitz »

Infy,

The one thing that always struck me about Jonathun Dunn's original SID is that it somehow sounded like there were more than 3 channels especially on the arpeggios and unfortunately that appears to be completely lost in this WIP. I can hear the arp notes in the backgroudd but they don't completely match the original and I think this is key to getting the original feel of the SID (imho).

Anyhoo, I have always loved this SID and wish you all the best in producing an Infamous (did you see what I did there?) rendition...

Keep posting your WIPs and I will make further comments on each version :)
Attachments
Platoon-Arp.rar
This is the arp I mean..
(522 Bytes) Downloaded 186 times
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Platoon

Post by Razmo »

Hi Infy...

I've always liked your remixes because they are diferent from the rest somehow... can't point my finger at what it is.... but hey! away with all the compliments, that was not what you asked for :D

I don't have anything special exept for that moog tone... the notes seem to "drag" a bit when held long, making them monotonous in my ears... I could see some nifty vibrato gradually setting in on some of the longer notes.... grab that modwheel! 8) ... fingered portamento would also do this justice... both of which are typiccal dynamic modulations on moogs i think.

Maybe even try out a passage where the drumbeat gets a heavy distortion to it... ruff'ness 8)

Just my two cents.
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).