Tonedeaf Request

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Tonedeaf Request

Post by Matrix »

I can play, but as tones go im pretty much tonedeaf, is there any sheet music of sid or amiga remixes floating around out there ?

If not, could be a sweet thing to sell to musicians, would also get more royalties in for the original compsers :) - i know id buy some ;) - imagine how much more the remix community would grow if stave sheetmusic were available :D

Chris ? Guys ?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> Chris ? Guys ?
It's merely a question of time, really. Making sheet music takes time which I haven't got: in fact, it takes a lot of time. Ideally someone else would do it, but I couldn't afford to pay anyone else for their time spent doing it). It would be good to give it away, too.

One of the many plans floating about was to do orchestral scores of the orchestral remixes available and then distribute them free to orchestras round the country to get them played. It's still something I'd love to do, but it either requires oodles of cash, or a very very talented transcriber/arranger with huge passion for the C64 and nothing else to do...

If 10 times more people bought CDs, then we could use the cash to do so many good things... as it is, there's none spare. Maybe our current plans will improve this situation...

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well I hope that proves fruitful in the long run - in the short term we have loads of remixers here, id expect at least 1 of em to be writing the notes down as they work em out. I know amiga remixes are harder cos of the key of the original samples, a G in Noisetracker may in reality be an E-flat.

Maybe we should start a collection of sheetmusic written my the mixers, im sure OCR technology exists which can translate written staves so that midi programs like final writer and cubase can use them. Or maybe just get some1 to scan them in and compile a huge site to host them. Id be more than willing to host and do the graphical work so the files remain small enough to download even for 56k'ers, but remain detailed enough to print and use.

In other words, rather than having 1 person do this, turn it into a community project..... thoughts ?
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

hi matrix,

i can offer you some sheets of my remixs as pdf, if you want...

cheers ifadeo
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Certainly, that gets us off to a good start :)

Id better go design a bit of a site haddent i :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, once the redesign is done it would be nice to host them at C64Audio.com: I wasn't saying I wouldn't host them, just that it's too much time for one person to create a whole load of them.

Chris
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

as i say, i can export some of my remix as sheets via sonar as pdf...
they're very basic sheets, you can use them for piano(both hands) and guitar (tabs, i've to try to play them by myself...)

i think they are useless for a orchester, 'cause my remixes mostly contains not more then 15-20 midi track....(without controllertracks)

cheers ifadeo
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Sure export em man :) that be wickid !! ...It may encourage others to do the same. As for orchestral arrangements - DIFFICULT - 96 or so instruments.... each type having their own stave to follow. Like Chris says, that would take LOTS of time.
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

96 different parts - what kind of orchestra would you write for?

A symphonic orchestra typically consists of violin 1 and 2, viola, cello, contrabass, flute(s), oboe(s), clarinet(s), bassoon(s), french horn(s), trumpet(s), trombone(s), possibly tuba, timpani and other percussion. Of those, each string part is doubled 5-10 times but could of course contain divertissement too. To my knowledge, the wind instruments never are more than two parts per instrument type (or as many as you need). You should be well below 40 parts for a standard symphonic orchestra.

A symphonic wind orchestra, which I know by heart, consists of 1 piccola, 2-3 flutes, 3-4 clarinets, 1-2 oboes/english horn, 1-2 alto sax, 1 tenor sax, 1 baritone sax, 1 bass clarinet, 1 contrabass clarinet, 1-2 bassoons, 3-4 french horns, 2-3 trumpets, 2-3 cornets, 3-4 trombones, 1 euphonium, 1-2 tubas, timpani plus up to 5-6 other percussion parts. Slightly more than the other orchestral type, but nowhere near 96. Even if you add an electric bass and a choir, you should end at ~50 parts.

When it comes to transferring remixes to sheet, I believe most music takes advantage of synthetic sounds and effects which makes it difficult or impossible to transfer. The truly orchestral ones probably work, and maybe those remixers already from the beginning are working in terms of instrumental parts?

The most difficult thing probably is to distribute the music to an orchestra willing to play it.
Anders Carlsson
carlsson
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by carlsson »

Btw, there is a Music XML proposed which in the future could be used to transfer written music between different notation software. Only a handful or fewer supports it today, but hopefully there will be a standard which means the sources could be kept in a compatible format apart from the ready-to-printable PDFs.
Anders Carlsson
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Greater knowledge than me on orchsterals, i capitulate to the greater intelect ;) - All i know is, glad im not having to translate it all to orchestral scores lol. 96 or 50 or less, its still a tough job for some1.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> The most difficult thing probably is to distribute the music
> to an orchestra willing to play it.
There are lots of orchestras: I'm sure some of them will appreciate the chance to play John-Williams-esque stuff without having to pay John Williams-esaque prices...

Besides which, I do actually have some orchestral connections here and there from earlier stalled plans in this area.

Chris
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

hmm, are we talking 'bout orchestral stuff only, i thought it will be nice
to have some sheets for playing them with piano or guitar.... :wink:

i'm thinking of stuff like: the violator song book(DM), which is very basic
only the main melodys are featured (play only with the right hand, easy)
and some add.guitar tabs

another good example is: The Beatles Complete(great book), where they
used sheets for both hands and also guitar tabs.....

which way is the best, separate sheets for bass, lead, pads ect. or a one
in all solution, which i prefer, so can everybody see what the others play...

cheers ifadeo
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I Can see it now - a night of BBC The Proms - Orchestral SidLive 2005 :)
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Matrix wrote:I Can see it now - a night of BBC The Proms - Orchestral SidLive 2005 :)
this is no answer to my question.... :lol:

...but it`s a nice thought.... maybe you should contact markus schneider
'bout this.... :wink:

btw. i ask my uncle to test some of my sheets, he's musicteacher
for grand piano, guitar, bass and organ.... if he got the time...

cheers ifadeo