I don't wish to cause a fuss, but.....

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well, there may have to be different levels of sheet music. For instance (thinking off the top of my head here), the guitar tab/chords and melody might be free, but more involved stuff (that involves more work in scoring) might have a small micro-charge or something (luckily, micropayments are finally becoming viable).

I think RKO shows that if you have a wildly popular site giving stuff away, someone somewhere is paying out of their own pocket (in this case, the good Baffle and his ISP). To have a stable service you've got to have some way of (a) keeping the goodwill of the people involved, and (b) paying your bandwidth, hosting costs and other overheads. It also ensures a level of quality. But most of all it makes sure the site stays around: I've lost count of the number of "here, take it all free" sites which have been bought to their knees by excessive bandwidth and had to close. The only real way to create a service of any reliability is to run your own dedicated server: and that's hundreds of pounds a month, plus extra for excessive bandwidth...

Wouldn't it be interesting if the composers could create "signature editions" of their own tunes in sheet music form? :)

Anyway, just thinking aloud.

If anyone wants to create and give away C64 sheet music of Hubbard, Galway, etc, they can feel free to do so with the blessing of me, and the composers.

Chris