Pondering Something about SID Music.

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Razmo
Forum God
Forum God

Re: Pondering Something about SID Music.

Post by Razmo »

Tonka wrote:
Razmo wrote:
Many SID tunes use the efffect of ringmod'inf and syncing two differently playing melody/rhythm lines together which create very unique FX sequences (Sanxion definitely comes to my mind here!)... no other synth today can do this...
Agreed.

The real bonus of working with a C64 for me is that just swapping one channel with another and applying a ring-mod/sync effect can change the character of a song entirely. You just have NO idea how the channels are going to sound or interact until you actually DO it! :) It's just so random - I love it!
EXACTLY! ... and that is why I want to use the SID... nothing else matters! Just the fact that SID let you ring mod one osc with the next, that will ringmod the next that will... no other synth I know has this capability. The problem with other synths is that you do not get individual oscillator control through MIDI.

This is by the way something I'm keen on implementing on the YM2151 project... The world has still to see a FM synth, that will let you control the individual operators from different MIDI channels... if it's possible FM will have a whole new creative aspect to it... in fact the perfect synth like this would be one where any oscillator could FM, Filter FM, Ringmod and Sync another oscillator, and have those two oscillators independently controlled from two MIDI channels... that would be awesome!
Regards, Jess D. Skov-Nielsen (Razmo).