retro gamer! bit live report

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

I know it's always tough when things get edited. If it's any consolation, I did something for Paramount for one of their official Star Trek magazines about 8 years ago and they *completely* re-wrote it changing the entire meaning and context of the piece (it was a product review and they ended up changing my views on it).

For the stuff I'm working on for Martyn, it's actually involving content for the cover CD so I'm having to get a lot of stuff in writing from them as it's a lot more delicate in terms of agreeing terms and conditions but I've learned a lot from past experience of getting screwed myself - it's sad that you need to get things clearly specified up front, but I guess it's the same for Chris and Tas for licencing music for releasing on CDs so we're all in the same position at the end of the day. :(
Views in my posts are my own and not necessarily that of Auto Assembly
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You know, it's odd, but hearing of another person getting screwed over NEVER makes me feel any better.

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

The media, don't you just love to hate them!!!!

i remember a rather exciting event happen not a few years ago.... Record Collector approached me and asked me to send them CD, and information. So i did, and they responded asking me if i could interview the musicians on the CD, gain some extra facts and help with the research and stuff..

I thought wow! they are really digging this, so off i toddled worked like a pig for several days, gathered it all up, presented very nicely and sent it to them...

since then, i heard nothing, not even a kiss my ass! and ofcourse nothing was ever printed!
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well just for the record (and im sure its crossed his mind) i have no umber at all for Andy Fisher.... great chap and im sure its going to be a top read when i finally get the mag. I am mad though at the mag. I dont write for mags, and im certainly not upto speed on the legal shinannigans, but this "editors right to cut things" should not really include credits, as chris said, its what you rely on... it is in effect, a type of payment, youve finally got your stuff into a national mag, trying to get noticed, and theres no pointer back to you if anyones interested in hiring you and passing on recognition.

@ Kenz, thx for checking man, appreciate that... If its readable it is in some way acceptable.... i dont guess many ppl can read 2pt text, but now im just being a pain in the ass.... if its there its there.... thx Kenz, much appreciated.

@ Chris & Guys, thx for the support, i wasnt sure how my "rant" would be recieved, i was just boiling over when i wrote it. Ive just always been a big believer in credit where its due. You never know what doors a bit of publicity will open, but when they cant even find the building, they cant open the door ;)

Thx guys and sorry to have stirred up a hornets nest over this.....
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

OK, I've tried to rectify the problem with a thread on the Live Publishing messageboard which you can read here.

Hope that helps.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Crackin stuff m8 !! :)

Now watch some bastard delete it LMAO !! :lol:
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Err..... Merman...... im a little confused, and dare i say it "embarrased".....

I managed to get the mag today.... and err... unless you got some mystical early print... everything is there !!

Not only are the web adresses readable, but theres a proper boxout at the bottom of the poster with the name credits in it ! - also - with the exception of PPOT's url, they printed the lot !! I COULDNT BE HAPPIER !!!

I cant understand why u said they chopped the stuff !! i cant see anything obviously chopped !!

Guys, Chris, i feel comprelled to appologise for my above rant now :oops: Sorry every1, looks like a storm in a SID Chip ! The article is ACE !! and EXACTLY what i would expect! - a shame its not getting much in the way of feedback at the RG forums though....

Either way .. Thanks all for putting up with me blowing my lid.... :oops: I was under the impression the poster would be printed on an almost anon level regarding the creators (myself and the cartoonist).

Thanks again *bends over and awaits an ass-kick*.... :roll:
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

Just a thought...

Do you think it might be worth posting something on the Retro Gamer forum as well to let them know?!! 8)

Should be getting the mag later today - can't wait to read the feature!
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Cheetor, there was a link in my last post, but here it comes again...

Click here to go to the RG forum

Well, Matrix, I don't have to kick your ass... I mean, with my eyesight I can barely read the URLs. But they are there. There was a separate "web links" boxout that was chopped, but is now on the RG forum.

And thanks for the feedback. Anyone else got any views?
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

Yeah, I saw your post over there! I meant whether a follow-up post might be worth it now that it's confirmed that the links have appeared in print?
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Yeah but in the article as a whole rather than a boxout.... Lemmie go get the mag *runs off* ........ listed are (and in order):

DNXWorld,Filetap.com
Paintbox.Filetap.com
C64Audio.com
Larsec.net
Retrovision.Org.Uk
CGExpo-Uk.com
Backintimelive.com

The article is 4 pages long. I think all the essential ones are there, the only obviously missing ones to me are Binary Zone, Press Play On Tape, and The Boz Shop.
Cheetor
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Cheetor »

Bought it and read it last night... great piece! 8)