SAVE STAR TREK !!!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

The reason the TNG characters were so loved is that they were pretty much archetypes based on mythology: for example, some mapping could be:

Picard=Zeus
Riker = Mars
Troi = Venus
Data = Mercury
{insert other analogies here, I'm sure there are many}

etc. The same isn't true of the later series universes, so they lacked some of the universal appeal of TNG, since the Greek/Roman/Norse/whatever mythology is so ingrained into the culture of the Northern Hemisphere.

Chris
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Didnt Zeus have a massive white hairdoo and beard ? :shock:

Riker is the warring type....

Data as Mercury - hmm believeable

Troi as Venus ... yeah thats doable

Wonder where the Crushers fit into it all..... actually, talking of fitting things, wouldnt mind finding space to fit Ensign Tsu .. WHOOOAAAA YO MOMMA !!
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Re: SAVE STAR TREK !!!

Post by Waz »

sumppi wrote:Maybe it all comes down to the theme song eventually ;)
Got to agree with Juha on that one :) The theme tune is dreadful, and what's worse is that Russell Watson (the guy who sings it) comes from here! Bah! However, not that many Mancunians actually like him because he's so arrogant and up his own backside, if you know what I mean.

Having watched Enterprise, it just doesn't have enough to be up there with TNG and the original series. And the other half (big sci fi fan) says one word: "rubbish!"
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

After all the new captain seems to me a weak character and the vulcanian chick doesn't really make a good sidekick as she continually shows off an arrogant behaviour and seems to be constantly in a fret. Well, all Vulcanians appear way too arrogant to be believable in this series.

Does this continue all the series? I have just watched a few episodes but I wasn't thrilled by what I had seen.
All is lost.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

No, Archer develops his tougher sides, and T'Pol her softer ones. :)
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by putzi »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:... and T'Pol her softer ones. :)
...and that is even audible in her voice.

I can´t understand the cancellation at all, it is the greatest Star Trek series of all, less computer and techie-shit, more action, less stupid talk, and lots of "interesting" women ;-)
I really dare to call it "realistic".

And for the record: Babylon 5 was nothing but a soap opera, and instead of some human neighborhood there are a few "space-renderings" done by a bad special FX artist.

Now kill me, B5-fans :lol:

Oh no, you won´t. Because you like to talk for hours without action, like they did on B5 :wink:
putzi
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

To my knowledge, the first season of Bab5 was rendered on an AMIGA! So you've gotta pay some kudos to this. ;) Of course, starship models look better than CGI, they still do today in some cases. But it was impossible to make Bab5 with models, because it was way too expensive. But in the end it's the story that counts, the rest is eye candy. :)

Btw: Bab5, like Enterprise, only works if you watch it from the first to the last episode.
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

putzi wrote:
LMan / Remix64 wrote:... and T'Pol her softer ones. :)
...and that is even audible in her voice.

I can´t understand the cancellation at all, it is the greatest Star Trek series of all, less computer and techie-shit, more action, less stupid talk, and lots of "interesting" women ;-)
I really dare to call it "realistic".

And for the record: Babylon 5 was nothing but a soap opera, and instead of some human neighborhood there are a few "space-renderings" done by a bad special FX artist.
you got it sascha, that are my thoughts too... :wink:

cheers ifadeo
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:To my knowledge, the first season of Bab5 was rendered on an AMIGA! So you've gotta pay some kudos to this. ;) Of course, starship models look better than CGI, they still do today in some cases. But it was impossible to make Bab5 with models, because it was way too expensive. But in the end it's the story that counts, the rest is eye candy. :)
Yep, for what i remeber they used A2000+Videotoaster clusters.
While, for the times, it was good enough, i must admit that since season2 the cgi was much better.
LMan / Remix64 wrote: Btw: Bab5, like Enterprise, only works if you watch it from the first to the last episode.
The first time i watched it went this way:

-Pilot
-2nd, 3rd, 4th season.

not my fault, usual italian television lameness.

They skipped the 1st season totally, no one knows why (they even bought and translated it...).

Then, didn't air the 5th.... until last year, but i noticed it too late to watch it.

Even this way, i enjoyed it a lot, and positioned it as my ever favourite SciFi serie. The hell with that, it's my fav serie overall.

Only yesterday night i managed to watch the very last episode of season 5... (touching and moving. great. no other words).

I really can find very few flaws. Despite the cheaper budget (compared to any Star Trek serie from TNG), it has some of the greatest acting performance i've ever seen in TV. Peter Jurasic (Londo) is an incredible actor, so is Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar), who also played some character sin TNG (Tomalak, for instance).

Perfect, deep, exciting and credible storyline, the best battles between starships ever seen on TV, great design, amazing soundtrack by Christopher Clarke (who, behind being one of the ugliest men on earth, is a total musical genious).

Too bad they stopped so "early".
Too bad the spinoff (Crusade) sucked so much. :(
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

putzi wrote:Oh no, you won´t. Because you like to talk for hours without action, like they did on B5 :wink:
Oh yeah.
I don't catalog action as being a sign of a good show, beside that:

It's a pity that all the "action" in 7 seasons of TNG doesn't come in pair with all the action in 5 seasons of B5.
It's a pity that all the "action" in 7 seasons of DS9 doesn't come in pair with all the action in 5 seasons in B5.
It's a pity that all the "action" in 7 seasons of VOY.. (read above).
It's a pity that all the action in Enterprise is almost senseless and wasted energy.

A soap opera?
It's a Space Opera. Much like any ST serie anyway.

The difference is the storyline: while B5 has a real, strong and meaning one, with a start and an end...

TNG starts but doesn't end.
DS9 starts, go on randomly for 3 seasons, then gets a meaning and ends.
VOY starts, go on for 7 seasons randomly then ends in the crappiest possible way (the most abused and incorrect to the public Deus Ex Machina: time travel..).
Enterprise: we know how it starts, goes on randomly, then will end in some way we still don't know.

And look, i love ST. Expecially TNG.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

DHS wrote:... amazing soundtrack by Christopher Clarke (who, behind being one of the ugliest men on earth, is a total musical genious).
You made me curious.
Googling for Christopher Clarke, I found this:
http://macserv.murdoch.edu.au/landman/ccwebprofile.html :shock:
Is it him? Or this:
http://www.fondation-patrimoine.com/fon ... larke.html
At least he has a piano. But looks like Jean Pütz.
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

--
DHS of The SoundWavers
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

Hey, this guy made the Perry Rhodan Soundtrack!
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Between the 2, bab5 is by far a better story... but enterprise is keeping me reasonably entertained. Wish they'd bring sliders back tho...

Now that enterprise is dead, and some guy will dissapear with 12 grand of fans cash once the website closes, (nice scam there), maybe they can get around to writing the adventures of a young kirk and spock at starfleet academy - as they once planned to many moons ago.