Ballblazer vs. Beasties

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

Dumper wrote: I like most of Romeo Knight's remixes but i didn't like this one, whenever i hear rap or hip-hop it's all so similar and i want to hear talent and someone with a great voice, not just someone talking which almost everyone on the planet can do. I gave an average vote because the overall tune just did not appeal to me but i wouldn't give it any lower because i know Romeo i one of the best remixers here and has a good talent. I don't class myself as an idiot nor do i have a limited mind and different opinions is what makes life interesting.
To make it absolutely clear: There's nothing wrong about a bad rating at all, anyone should respect this. Things get a bit difficult when there's something wrong with the reason for it. There are just too many different aspects to a tune/remix that disliking a particular genre alone could legitimate the worst possible rating. Ok, enough about that for today.

But Dumper: Thinking that almost anyone could rap is just plain wrong. Believe me.
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

I don't get you, DHS. Should voting and commenting be limited to some kind of qualified panel with all the right technical skills while the rest of the crowd shuts up? If one cannot vote based on taste without being classified a mental idiot, then this whole voting-thing is pretty meaningless. Music charts all over the world are based on record buyers taste. Buyers who in most cases don't give a rats ass about techniques etc. They hear something they like and they buy it. I don't see why these charts differs from those.

IMO music is feelings. I do not really care how it is made if it makes me feel something (except for sick).

That said, I like this remix. Maybe because I like rap? ;)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

(I'm a bit dull now discussing this topic, so only one short statement.)
k_rostoen wrote: I don't see why these charts differs from those.
Well, I do: People give the artists money for getting their music. That's their way of rating them. And this makes a big big difference.
If you'd ask me then let's change it to that! :)

Ah and I forgot another aspect: At Remix64 there are musicians rating musicians, non-musicians rating musicians, but no musicians rating non-musicians. :D LMan: Time to adapt the system however! :wink:
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

Romeo Knight wrote:Well, I do: People give the artists money for getting their music. That's their way of rating them. And this makes a big big difference.
If you'd ask me then let's change it to that! :)
That's ofcourse a point. :)

Anyway, I saw your answers in the other post after I wrote my previous post and I do understand a bit more of yours and DHS' point of view now.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

personally, I'm not into House, Dance etc but I can recognize when a good job is done on that kind of music !!!

So I can' put a bad ratio on these remix just because it isn't my favorite style of music...

like said Jean-Claude Vand Damme : "I'm Aware" :wink:
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

k_rostoen wrote:I don't get you, DHS. Should voting and commenting be limited to some kind of qualified panel with all the right technical skills while the rest of the crowd shuts up? If one cannot vote based on taste without being classified a mental idiot, then this whole voting-thing is pretty meaningless. Music charts all over the world are based on record buyers taste. Buyers who in most cases don't give a rats ass about techniques etc. They hear something they like and they buy it. I don't see why these charts differs from those.

IMO music is feelings. I do not really care how it is made if it makes me feel something (except for sick).

That said, I like this remix. Maybe because I like rap? ;)
Last words on the topic, even if i explained myself pretty well, i think:

1) Everyone should vote.
In my POV, every single one who downloads from KWED should, at least, as sign of gratitute for the remixer work (whatever the vote is).
Said that, i'm not aiming for an "elite" squadron of voter. Sure thing is, one should at least have a little of musical competence (or at least, a brain) to cast a vote. Anyone who says "everyone can rap", as well as "everyone can make dance/metal/rap/rock/whatever" is the perfect example of someone who should take a deep breath and, instead of voting, read a book, watch television or adress his attention to whatever else activity instead of exposing us his ignorance in those matters. period.

2) This isn't the fuckin' music biz. We don't remix/cover to get money.
Ok, let's say one dislikes everything not conforming to his musical tastes. A blind mind imho, but, whatever. Now, bashing a remix because it doesn't belong to the reviewer musical tastes is an option, but not considering all the other factor in a remix (ideas, production, arrangement, and so on) is simply unfair. And stupid.

3) Other remixers already left because they got sick of this behaviour. Would you prefer to be fair in your voting or having less *free* music you can enjoy?
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

+1

PS : don't forget that Romeo is not only a remixer, he is a good composer too! :wink:
k_rostoen
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by k_rostoen »

gibs wrote:PS : don't forget that Romeo is not only a remixer, he is a good composer too! :wink:
Was this one for me? Cause I never doubted Romeos skills in any way.
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

It was for me, I guess! :D
LMan
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by LMan »

Yay long time since we had this discussion :lol: Posted my sober opinion about this at the General Conversation thread.

Just adressing a few comments.

@DHS: basically you're right, especially the bit about us not being the fuckin' music biz. However, calling a voter stupid, mindless, ignorant etc... because in your opinion he lacks musical background knowledge is quite the behaviour you don't want - just the other way 'round.

@Romeo Knight: the problem with such reviews is, that it's all a very subjective matter. Such matters are prone to controversy, and can not be solved by reason.

Oh and about remixers leaving the scene because of "stupid" voting behaviour: It's always a shame to see if ratings and reviews are more important to the artist than his art. With that said: only crowd-pleasers can make it to the top, experimental or niche genre stuff can not. That alone will prevent any of my remixes ever to ascend to the top. If I quit because of that or tried to make crowdpleasers from now on, that would be pretty pathetic of me, would it not. :)
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Post by Romeo Knight »

That's exactly what I meant with
"...that I did that all for the sake of music..."
in the other thread.
gibs
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by gibs »

k_rostoen wrote:
gibs wrote:PS : don't forget that Romeo is not only a remixer, he is a good composer too! :wink:
Was this one for me? Cause I never doubted Romeos skills in any way.
no I just wanted to remind this to everybody who forgot it. arranging is not only replacing a midi seq (often ripped with sid2midi) with a kick ass instrument. this is a part of composing too. I'm sure some people vote without playing the sid before. they only think "ok I don't never heard the original, I don't like the tune, and I don't like this kind of music, I don't care about the work of the arranger, sooo.....a greeny"
I think there are most a most realease and people doesn't take the time to listen to carrefully the work of the arranger...
Personnaly I cant pretend voting on a tune I don't know except if It kick my ass. I mean to judge the work af the arranger you must at least know the original one !
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

gibs wrote:typical message from Eliott
Who is this guy? he seems to down vote lots of stuff when they have been getting good reviews

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

dan gillgrass wrote:
gibs wrote:typical message from Eliott
Who is this guy? he seems to down vote lots of stuff when they have been getting good reviews
Isn't he the boy out of ET? Must be him grown up.

Chris
Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
DHS
Forum God
Forum God

Post by DHS »

LMan / Remix64 wrote:@DHS: basically you're right, especially the bit about us not being the fuckin' music biz. However, calling a voter stupid, mindless, ignorant etc... because in your opinion he lacks musical background knowledge is quite the behaviour you don't want - just the other way 'round.
I think i made that pretty clear: one just need a brain to vote wisely.
I won't call a voter "ignorant, mindless, stupid" because he lacks musical competence. I will call that way in the exact moment he acts like one, when he scrap the passionate work of, maybe weeks, of a remixer, only because he doesn't like the "genre" of the music he's listening.

On the other side, i don't really think one need any musical competence to understand that rap is something more than "talking" and needs skills and practice. The only thing needed is called common sense.
--
DHS of The SoundWavers
http://soundwavers.com/