The Artist formerly known as subzero

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Chappers
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Chappers »

Chris Abbott wrote:
Steve Dee wrote:Sorry folks, but I no longer want to be known as subzero. Steve Is my real name, D is the first letter of my last name so Steve Dee it is.

I've been using the nickname subzero since 1999 and im fed up of it also of being called...

Subby
Subbers
ShrubZero
Shrubbery
Mr Freeze
etc....
Steve, whatever name you use people are going to adopt variants of it. There's no real point in being precious about it. Also, why were you upset about people calling you "subbers" instead of "subzero"? They're both arbitrary names that don't bear any relation to your birth certificate, so what difference does it make? If you really want to play it straight, just call yourself "SteveD" or something. Trying to turn it into another relatively arbitrary name ("Dee" isn't your last name, is it?) and then insist people use exactly and only that name is a bit... well... people aren't exactly known for their adherence to arbitrary rules, are they? Especially as to most people altering people's names is a way of expressing their familiarity and like of that person, not an insult. If anyone called you Subbers, it was because they liked you.

Isn't that true Chappers? (Or should I call you Paul See? :)

Abbers

PS: The name people get used to is the name they'll always know you by. For better or worse, you'll always be subzero to us.
Hehe. I take it as a compliment that people know me as Chappers. Okay, according to DHS, it makes me sound like an ass, but there you go..... ;)

@ Steve/Subby - Chris is absolutely right when he says it's because of familiarity and a like of you as a person, that we call you Subzero and variants of it. If we started calling you "Tosspot" to your face (and meant it), you may have a point but we don't do that, do we?

Finally, no one sees me spitting my dummy out when I'm being called a ponce. It's a bit of fun, simple as that. I take it on the chin and laugh about it (because it happens to be funny), I suggest you do the same as regards to your nick.

Chappers/Paul See :)
'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I'm very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
RetroMarkie
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by RetroMarkie »

Sub,

listen mate... I know your in a weird place right now... things have gone a little mad for a few months... but dude... here, right here on these threads are folk who DO care about you. If we dident care we would never be typing away in this thread... it would have sank away...

Sub, only met ya a few times but your a good guy ... I wish you the best in getting thru stuff and look forward to a new you on the other end of your journey...

Kepp the faith my friend.
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Thanks markie - means a lot. Im so stressed and worried about things just now, its getting on top of me....
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

RetroMarkie wrote:Sub,

listen mate... I know your in a weird place right now... things have gone a little mad for a few months... but dude... here, right here on these threads are folk who DO care about you. If we dident care we would never be typing away in this thread... it would have sank away...

Sub, only met ya a few times but your a good guy ... I wish you the best in getting thru stuff and look forward to a new you on the other end of your journey...

Kepp the faith my friend.
I was the only one that remembered his name at Manchester last year ! ;)

@ Steve : he's right man, lots of people care about you - me included. We're only an email away if you need a quiet word of support - k.
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

indeed.. seems alot of us are living in interesting times..
Bog
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Bog »

I always called him "Subbers" or similar on IRC, and it was always meant with love, maaaan.

But, I have to respect what a feller asks - we're all entitled to ask what we're called by, I guess, and I can understand the need to re-invent oneself from time to time, whether it's to separate from emotional baggage that you want to version-number out of your life, or just to stop the authorities finding you.

So, just one last time, for old time's sake...

Pixel tamer
Mark "Bog" Hennessy-Barrett. Chris says you should ask me about the Wizball video ;)
Or go look at http:/www.imaginetix.co.uk