New Speakersystem

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

New Speakersystem

Post by tom »

I recieved my new Monitorspeakers yesterday and i still have headache :wink: whouh, you can turn up the volume to the max and they are still sounding great,no distortion nothing, but that is of course very dangerous for my ears :D
wanna see 'em ?? Here you go:
http://www.genelec.com/products/1038b/1038b.php

nice weekend
Thomas
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

:D :D :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :D
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Me and my new Sytems in the back :lol:
by the way i 'm still suffering :wink:

TOM
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Cool! I have Genelec 1031A, and Roland DS-90A.

I'm strongly considering getting even bigger speakers (especially the low end , since I hate using subwoofers).

However, I sold my 1031A because the top end was too sharp in the long run.

How does the 1038B (what's the difference to 1038C?) sound in the high freq compared to 1031A? Same, less, worse, better, softer, etc.??

I'm currently considering some of the bigger JBL series.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote:How does the 1038B (what's the difference to 1038C?) sound in the high freq compared to 1031A? Same, less, worse, better, softer, etc.??
I'm currently considering some of the bigger JBL series.
Well, since speakers are a question of taste , it's hard to say better,less,worse etc !
I can't tell you the diff. to 1038C , but the diff. to 1031A is really a big one.
No matter on what volume you drive the 1038B they will always sound great and that is really dangerous 'cos your ears won't recognize the overload,wich has happened to me yesterday and i had very bad headache at night and today.
I do love the 1031A as well, but your right when you say that they are sounding a bit harsh in the high freq. especially on hot volume :wink:
I heard several big productions yesterday (R.KELLY 'n' stuff) and now i know what i was misssing, even if you are listing to DANCE or POP you can easily reveal the limits or benefits of a production and add it to yours now! If you have the chance to have alisten to the 1038B then give 'em a try :lol:

greets
Thomas
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Ok, thanks.

Unfortunately a pair of 1038 B are relatively expensive in Denmark (€8.500), how much are they in Germany?
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

:? 4800 euro for each, means 9600 a pair, so it is more here :cry:
But they are worth the buy :lol:

tom
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

By the way, what do you say to the LOGIC PRO 6 thing?
Well getting a SpaceDesigner now for 199 is a bit unfair to people like me who paid over 600 euros..
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

http://www.genelec.com/products/1038b/1 ... ker2=1037C

There are NO 1038C ,only 1037C and here's the link where you can see the difference! Just look at the watt power only :wink:

TOM
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Yup saw my mistake re. the non-existant 1038 C ;-)

As for the Logic Pro thing announced at NAMM I think it's a bit weird for us who have bought the individual plug ins such as EXS24, ES2 or SpaceDesigner etc.

I hope they give us a really really good deal on the update! Well, since Apple has taken over it's bound to be bad for existing customers service-wise.

I mean, I love Apple computers, but I really hate their service towards existing customers.

BTW do you do any mastering yourself? I just upgraded my Waves Gold bundle to Platinum, getting the Masters bundle (Linear MultiBand, L2 etc).

Still can't more than 80% of what I get in a real mastering studio. Well, I guess even Waves can't beat dedicated hardware.
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

MASTERING

Post by tom »

Lagerfeldt wrote:BTW do you do any mastering yourself? I just upgraded my Waves Gold bundle to Platinum, getting the Masters bundle (Linear MultiBand, L2 etc).

Still can't more than 80% of what I get in a real mastering studio. Well, I guess even Waves can't beat dedicated hardware.
Yes, i do mastering on myself. I have the <b>BEHRINGER COMBINATOR</b> (2*) in the mains and subgroups of the mixer
(it's a multiband compressor/levler) and record all the music directly to the MOTU 828mk 2 after removing DC Offset and trimming the file i normally put the <b>AUDIO ENERGIZER</b> in it's default values (50,5,10) on the track plus EMAGICS AD-Limiter to reach more volume, that's all. I never do EQ's on a final track :wink:
If it comes to mastering HARDWARE rules and of course a lot of knowledge.
I have talked to a lot of real mastering pro's and most of 'em are really fed up with this <b>VOLUME WAR</b> which is going on. And i must confess i do feel the same :lol:

all the best
Thomas
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Like your banner!
tom
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by tom »

:wink: i think it's time to go back to more dynamics in music!

have a great week
Thomas
Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity
Location: Lund, Sweden. Fav colour: White. Fav remix: PPOT Comic

Post by Pex `Mahoney` Tufvesson »

tom wrote:i think it's time to go back to more dynamics in music!
The society is noisy. With more dynamics in music, it would be even noisier, since we would all have to play the music louder in order to hear the quiet passages. Great for enclosed headphones, but not for speakers. The neighbours would then hear more of my music, and I would hear more of their (God forbid!). :shock:

Volume war? As long as we are sitting with "inferior" 16-bit 44.1kHz music, I'd say we need to keep up the volume. I've heard too many "dynamic" recordings of choir music, where the quiet passages are drowned in quantization noise, not at all pleasant. :?

So, I don't fully agree, Tom! Music should be "free form art", not regulated with "all pop music MUST be made at -6dB rms effect". I like using the full range of volume for my music. When played on the radio, they'll control the output level and compress it even further anyway, so there it doesn't really matter.

That's my opinion. I fully respect yours, since you're in the business. Meanwhile, I'll play with my compressors as I wish! :D

Take care!
Lagerfeldt
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by Lagerfeldt »

Well, I don't think that's what Thomas means exactly.

What I believe he is mainly referring to is especially the excessive *soft clipping and hard limiting* going on both in mixing and especially mastering - which has *no* positive effect on the music, except for destroying transient impact and clarity. Besides, soft clipping and hard limiting is bad for radio play due to the way broadcasting limiting works.

You can still compress quite heavily (a matter of taste) and use compression as a creative tool in a mix, but soft clipping and hard limiting are rarely used as anything but a means of getting the RMS up, and therfore inherently bad for music.

As for quantization noise, it has nothing to do with compression (except if it's done pre A/D to reach a higher mean signal and thus raising the bit quality in the conversion stage, but the material should just be recording properly in 24-bit and no pre-compression is necessary) or RMS perception as such, it is the result of low bit quality in the A/D conversion stage, and post-compressing a low bit quality signal will not remove quantization noise. Correct use of quality dithering such as POW-r #3 or IDR (from Waves) can however help improve bit quality preception-wise.

Also it's important to notice that "using the full dynamic range of one's music" simply means that you're using the full dynamic range in between minus infinite and 0 dBFS, not that the meter should be pinned around 0dBFS. We all like to use the full dynamic potential but and we are trying to avoid the squashing that inevitably occurs when using transient reductors to increase RMS. This volume war curse is in fact doing the opposite, we are *not* using the dynamic potential, we are limiting it, and in the process destroying a key element in music.

Of course we are all free to do as we please, but the vicious circle of volume war needs to be broken to get the dynamic impact back in music, something that's been gradually deteriorating since 1997 with the widespread proliferation of soft clipping and digital look-ahead brick wall limiting, such as the L1.

Hope that makes sense. :wink: