We was robbed!

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

We was robbed!

Post by Waz »

Pure and simple.

Despite the fact that, admittedly, Portugal were the better side, and that we worked hard with spirit and determination, and even after they equalised to make it 1-1, if there was any justice in this world then we would have snatched a victory.

Unfortunately, that victory was robbed from us by a quite appalling decision from Urs Maier. How he managed to see any infringements, when the linesman, who was better placed and actually gave the goal, wasn't just beyond me, but every single football commentator out there. Surely he should have checked with his assistant who saw nothing wrong with it. He chickened out and became a "homer" referee, and anyone who's been away to Old Trafford will know exactly what I mean by that.

A replay or three only made it worse, and I was just hoping that in extra time we'd fix that injustice, and the way we came back after going 2-1 down with another goal from Lampard (three from midfield in four games, can't argue there) showed a lot of pride and determination.

But alas, our record in penalties isn't very good, and when we got there it was just like Argentina in World Cup 98, where Campbell also had a goal disallowed, and unfortunately someone had to be the fall guy. Shouldn't be blaming Vassell too much to be honest, the goalie just guessed right. It happens. We were playing catch up for Beckham's missed penalty - and that's three on the trot he's missed for England which is worrying.

We defended too deep and although the back line did their job most of the time, we weren't strong enough and really Sven's tactics of almost holding on have to come in to question. We could all see we were hoofing it to the front two, where was the build up play that was so fluent against Croatia, and why at half time didn't he suggest to change it around so that the team could play more neater passing? Owen and Vassell had to work for everything with no support.

At the end of the day, although the ref did his bit, Sven also has to wonder if he got the game tactically right. Coldly and collectedly, I don't think he did, and he should admit that. Our English spirit and determination carried us so far, and it's credit to the team we managed to stay in there for so long, but now it's time to go home, but with heads held high in that En-ger-land will never die.

We'll be back.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Im hoping Sven will stay for the World Cup and then if it doesnt work call it a day... I think he has done the team well...and I hope he will continue to do so.... classic quote tonight from a tv person.. "You seem to have been playing against twelve men..one was Swiss"

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
DaveT
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by DaveT »

Well, they did hold the goalkeeper (you can see an arm around his neck) and we did score a goal that wasn't accounted for too...
In the end Sven just made the wrong choices (reminded me of italy) trying to hold the advantage. And it wasn't Beckham night...
Still, we truly dominated, kept trying and fighting and deserved the final score.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

I agree mostly with Waz, but you gotta rue the invisible middle four who gifted the ball continually to the Portugese. Especially Beckham. I was watching him for large period of time, and he ran about ineffectually, hardly ever tackled anybody, instead waving himself in front of them until they usually just went round him anyway... and only the occasional telling pass to show for it. 90% of the time he was a waste of pitch. Maybe Sven trained them too hard during the rest period, because they were all as tired as overworked donkeys. Poor old Stephen Gerrard... Scholes was a shadow... pah. There was no point at which that game was a pleasure to watch... adrenaline of that magnitude just isn't good for my system... and no impartial observer could say that Portugal deserved to lose: they showed as much spirit as England, especially with that 83 minute goal, but they also played some actual football, with passing and everything.

Mind you, that penalty spot was bobbins wasn't it?

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Dave T:

While i admit Portugal was the better side and i think no one will dispute that, you can't say the goal late on was infact a no goal.

It was a perfectly good goal!!!

The best team did win eventually i agree, but THAT goal was perfectly fine!

The ref was apaulling, Why rooney got booked for what was a foul on him
was unreal.

Anyway no real sour grapes from me, Portugal really played better, tho England did give it their all. Well done portugal! good luck for the rest of the compo!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

my view actually is....

The press made so much of rooney that when he had to go off injured the team lost so much self confidence. You just have to watch the game again and see where we went from confident to defensive. The team just didn't believe in themselves after he was taken off.

The only people to blame are the ones who gave Ronney so much credit! Rooney coped with it, but the rest of the team didn't!
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Time we lost Beckham, he's an overpaid media icon dork, not a footie player.
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

That was a very excellent game! I was unable to sit still. My money was on Portugal, but my heart was with England.

About that goal, the Swedish commentators said that this was a differnece from premiere league and all other leagues in Europe. In P.L. that would've counted as a goal, while in all other leagues it would not. (Because there was an arm holding the goalie down). HOWEVER, there's NO WAY the ref could've seen that happening. He just took a chance and blew his wistle, and in the end managed to be right. Because I agree with the desition, the goalkeeper was, imo, being pulled down.

The English team seemed to have a bit trouble keeping the pase during the end of the game, where as Ronaldo was like a machine! Aaah, that was one memorable football game.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Tas wrote:While i admit Portugal was the better side and i think no one will dispute that, you can't say the goal late on was infact a no goal.
Apart from the fact that the goalie is *always* given benefit of the doubt in those kinds of situations. Had the same happened to Portugal, we'd have been arguing "David James was fouled - no fair!"

I think England has plenty to be proud of (lots of goals, Rooney, getting past the first round outside of England for the first time). However, the team seriously needs to discover a decent goalkeeper within the next year and relegate James to the bench. It might also be a good idea to prepare better for penalties before the next cup (assuming England actually qualifies), although at least the team did better than before this time.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

yeah Craig,

Your right mate! and your right again with the goalkeeper!!! James is dreadful!

I'm used to watching league football, week in week out.. You know the real game of football where men can actually make a tackle ;) non of this mamby pamby premiership don't touch me i'm beautiful type of rubbish.

Might sound strange, but i pray my team Rovers never reach premiership status, it'd spoil it for me!
Zzapback
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: We was robbed!

Post by Zzapback »

wazzaw wrote:WE WAS ROBBED! Pure and simple.

...Unfortunately, that victory was robbed from us by a quite appalling decision from Urs Maier. How he managed to see any infringements, when the linesman, who was better placed and actually gave the goal, wasn't just beyond me, but every single football commentator out there. Surely he should have checked with his assistant who saw nothing wrong with it.
Great game, great goals, great winners & losers...
but I have to disagree with the above statement.

You wonder why Ricardo didn't jump?
Here's the evidence:

FOUL!!!

So, there you go. No reason to complain about the ref, looking at the pic.

England did great, they must be proud they were in one of the best matches of EURO2004. (Like in 1998, against Argentina)

Btw, on Dutch television you could see that the ball rolled away just before Beckham kicked his penalty. Very weird. Very bad luck.

I really wonder who's going to win EURO2004?
I don't have a clue anymore.
But I love the tournament so far. :D

Ta!
Rob
The future is Retro...(sorta)
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

wazzaw wrote:WE WAS ROBBED! Pure and simple.
Altought I think the ref's display was the worst of the competition by a far long margin. The Goal should have been disallowed and the best team won.
CraigG
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Post by CraigG »

Zzapback wrote:Btw, on Dutch television you could see that the ball rolled away just before Beckham kicked his penalty. Very weird. Very bad luck.
Blame it on Portuguese psychics! (Or something.)
Zzapback
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Zzapback »

CraigG wrote:
Zzapback wrote:Btw, on Dutch television you could see that the ball rolled away just before Beckham kicked his penalty. Very weird. Very bad luck.
Blame it on Portuguese psychics! (Or something.)
Yeah, or the ball hated Beckham?

Came across this image at yakyak. Funny one. 8)

:D
Rob
The future is Retro...(sorta)
Retrovertigo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Retrovertigo »

Although i'm sure many won't agree, I'm delighted with the result! :P

Portugal deserved to win.

Feel free to flame at your convinience.

:wink: