Calm by Slaygon

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Calm by Slaygon

Post by sumppi »

From the three-chords-oughta-be-enough-for-everyone department...

Umm, this one was pretty hard in some way and pretty easy in others. I had to go through two demo versions until doing the final from scratch but doing the final version took only about 8 hours. The main point was to try to get decent acoustic sound recorded and fitted into an actual song. At this point I'm just pretty happy it's done and I can move on;)

The mp3 can be found at http://www.playbynumbers.com/mp3/calm.mp3

Some details for the musicians/geeks out there: the Ibanez acoustic was recorded with Rode NT1a and the PRS electric through Vox Tonelab. The bass was an Amplitube treated Cort Curbow bass. Drums are from BFD, which seems to suck all the life out of any computer. Everything was recorded through Mbox to Logic and spoiled with Waves' and Logic's own plugins.

Sumppi
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Brilliant mate!!! absolutely brilliant!
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

great work, i love the acoustic guitar part....
it's a piece of rock at is best.... and i didn't like mainstream rock :wink:

keep'em coming.....

cheers ifadeo
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

What can I say? Really, really, nice. Thoroughly enjoyed this one. Be interesting to see what Slaygon himself makes of it, too.

Lovely acoustics, really nice sensible use of the drum to underpin the whole tune, and the feel of the original has been kept in tact.

Why oh why can't all remixes be given the same love and attention as this one? Re-sult!
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Infamous
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Infamous »

w.o.w..... this reminded me so much of fleetwood mac for some strange reason.. but that aint a bad thing considering i LOVE that band.. so thus i LOVE this!

absolutely superb sump :-)
Slaygon
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Slaygon »

REALLY nice!
Love the take on it. I like the laid back feel of it. You really pinned down the melody well too.

Having listened to this a couple of times now since last night, I must say that the first garage band mix found its way into this pretty well.

I just wish more remixes were done with acoustic guitars, and as well as this one!

Thank you sumppi!
ifadeo
Forum God
Forum God

Post by ifadeo »

Infamous wrote:w.o.w..... this reminded me so much of fleetwood mac for some strange reason.. but that aint a bad thing considering i LOVE that band..

my god :shock:

fleetwood mac is one of my biggest nightmares... :twisted:

cheers ifadeo
putzi
Forum Celebrity
Forum Celebrity

Does someone read this line ?

Post by putzi »

"Mac" always sounds like a nightmare to me.

Everything ofcourse Burger-related ;-)
putzi
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

:shock: First rate, absolutely! :shock:
All is lost.
merman
Forum Fish
Forum Fish

Post by merman »

Awesome.
--Anyone want to remix my SIDs?--
merman1974 on Twitter, Steam and Xbox Live
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

There's an updated version at http://www.playbynumbers.com/mp3/calm.mp3 for those who are still interested ;)

It seems I encoded the first version in glorious mono instead of the new millennium stereo technology. Also, I couldn't keep myself from doing some improvements (well, in my opinion at least) to it in general.

Sumppi
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

Absolutely gorgeous. I'm still on my first listen here, but it's blowing my socks off. Hang on...

And... Its finished.

Yeah, like it a lot. Have to admit, the heavy part of the song kind of ruined some of that chilly fantasy atmosphere for me. It all sounds good, but the bit at 3:42... Sounds awesome but out of place. The end seems a little sudden too.

Never mind. For the first three and a half minuites, I was absolutely captivated. Plus, it isn't like that last part is badly handled. The quiet palm muting sounds great. The distorted lead, wicked. The acoustic stuff, perfection. Smashing.

Sumppi mate, my time here as a remixer is well and truly over I think. Not a bad thing really, but my crappy M2k remixes can't stand up to work of this quality. Its embarrasing. You and Romeo Knight have surpassed even Puffy64 for creativity and sheer joyous listening pleasure. Having said that, I just know that if Puffy ever does another remix, its going to be wild!

Keep 'em coming mate.
Great, another set of strings ruined...
sumppi
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by sumppi »

Ahem.

Honoring the tradition of iterative development I uploaded a new version of Calm to my server. The URL stays the same, http://www.playbynumbers.com/mp3/calm.mp3

The main change is the addition of live recorded drums instead of the BFD loops. This wasn't supposed to be done for Calm but I needed a song I knew to test a new drummer, so Calm was a nice fit for that.

Over and out.

Sumppi