BIT Live in Swedish Super Play

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

BIT Live in Swedish Super Play

Post by Makke »

Just had a talk with Max Levin. He just got the latest issue of Swedish Super Play and there's two pages on BIT Live in there.

It hits the shop shelves tomorrow, so I'll try to get me a copy ASAP and supply an English version. :)

Unless someone beats me to it, of course. ;)
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Re: BIT Live in Swedish Super Play

Post by Makke »

Andreas Wallström wrote:Cool, I didn't know they were there. They should have done a report of all the Swedes that performed there, right Makke?
I knew they were there, because somehow Max knew and told me. But we had no idea what the reporter looked like (or even his name) so it was kind of hard trying to figure our who to hassle. ;)

And yes, they defenitely should've interviewed us. :)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

His name was Espen Skog, and I didn't get to speak to him either, unless he was the Swedish guy I punched for asking stupid questions ;-)

Chris
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Ok, this is a really fast translation I did. So don't hassle me for any errors, since I couldn't be bothered to proof read it. ;)

In an old church old Commodore 64 tunes are being played in new versions, lead by the somewhat legendary composer Ben Daglish. For a small but happy group of nostalgics this could well be the concert of the year.

- Where are all the Scandinavian geeks then? You know, you who wrote me lots of e-mails saying “You and Rob Hubbard should have a baby!”
Ben Daglish, well known game composer from the Commodore 64 era, is the host of Back In Time: Live 2004 and a funny bloke in general who entertains us as we’re waiting for Press Play On Tape to get the sound for the bass guitar sorted out. Some had gone wrong.

We’re sitting in an old church from the 1700’s on Old Street, usually the home of the London’s symphonics but for the moment is invaded by 200 adult boys, and a few women, who are drinking beer and clapping their hands. This is where the last Back In Time concert is to take place but right now has come to a halt as the Danish group Press Play On Tape are having technical difficulties.

Back In Time is a tribute to the small sound chip SID (Sound Interface Device) in the Commodore 64. A chip that revolutionized how music and sound for game when the C64 was released in the 80’s. Compositions by Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway and Ben Daglish have made C64 game music legendary and immortal for us who grew up with computers and can still hum the melody for Commando, Monty on the Run (the tune with the best violin solo in the world), Chubby Gristle or Wizball without even thinking about it.

Then Press Play On Tape gets sound in their amp and all of a sudden small melodies are turned into rock ‘n’ roll – there’s even a smoke machine! Rock! They play classics like the theme from The Great Giana Sisters and The Sacred Armour of Antiriad. But it’s when Mark Knight and Ben Dasglish join them on stage to play Monty On The Run that the audience explodes. The stage is swinging and the room is swaying when everyone stamp their feet. It is, if you like it or not, hard to sit still. My notes from that moment are hardly readable. I think I see “fucking excellent!” but I’m not sure.

Pause and the lights are turned on. People start to mingle between visits to the basement where the beer is sold. I end up with some drunk Englishmen who have t-shirts with pixel art. They’re wondering why I’m taking notes in the dark. I tell them I work for a Swedish game magazine.
- Schweden. That’sch fantaschtic! Schuper! Dansching queen, young and schweet only scheventeen! Do you know Abba!?
I excuse myself, tell them I have to powder my nose, and sneak off. Up in the concert hall again where the record commerce is in full swing; people flock around the small table where various CD’s filled with C64 music can be bought. I’m standing there looking as Ben Daglish walks up on stage again to introduce the next act, the Swedish group Visa Röster who sing a capella. In the middle of his introduction a man with a cap and an acoustic guitar appears and want to play a couple of tunes. Sure he can, is the answer from the crowd.

He starts singing a sweet love song before another man walks up on stage and says “This is a bit shit, yeah?”. The audience agree enthusiastically. A tape is started with some hiphop beats and they both start to rap about the annoying loading times when using a datasette. It’s the C64 Mafia who has occupied the stage.

Before Visa Röster gets on stage Ben Daglish has time to do a little experiment. He divides the crowd in three parts to make us emulate a SID-chip. The first part gets a beat, the second one a fun sound effect and the third, where I’m sitting, will imitate the melody with the most annoying “nye-nye-nye” sound as we can. One, two, three, all together, and so we’re humming “Eastenders” together before all collapses in one massive collective laughter.

Visa Röster enters the stage and I’m afraid for a moment that their quiet a capella version of C64 tunes will destroy some of the party feeling. But their version of International Karate is completely brilliant and it’s impossible to not have a big foolish grin on your face through out the entire song. When their act is over and they gather at the CD tables they’re the ones who attract the most prospective buyers during the evening. I don’t know how big a part the beauty of the four female members of the group has to do with it.

The light is turned on again for another pause. 99 percent of the 200 attending run down to the basement again. This time I head for the toilets and witness the uncommon phenomenon that there’s a queue to the male toilets while the female one is completely empty. Did I mention that the hall smelled of male sweat?

While walking around I spot a tall guys with long hair in a red overall. He’s running around, asking anyone who’s had anything to do with the C64 for an autograph. He looks happy and almost jump up and down with excitement. He runs around everywhere until he stops by some fellows who must be his mates. I walk a bit closer to hear what he’s saying and at first I don’t understand what he’s saying as I didn’t expect to hear Swedish here.
- Hi, I’m Oskar Skoh, I’m writing for Super PLAY.
- Hi!
- What are you doing here?
- What do you think? Had to come here when I heard this would be the last Back In Time concert ever!
- So you’re here just for this?
- Well, what are you here for? Maaan!
And then he’s off again.

It’s been hours since the concert started and now it’s time for the final act Stuck in D’80s to take the stage. Here Ben Daglish plays the guitar. Mark Knight, also known as mad fiddler, plays the violin. Just for this evening they have a guest on the bass. I’d heard rumors about it but didn’t quite dare to believe it, but there he is. Mr. Sensible: Jon Hare. Jon Hare is the founder of Sensible Software and have among other things created Sensible Soccer and Cannon Fodder – admittedly for the Amiga and not the Commodore 64. Of all the game developers in existence he’s my biggest idol.

This is the act that the whole audience has been waiting for. You can tell from the cheers that fill the hall as soon as the first tune starts. And then it just continues, song after song. It’s a fantastic groove and we who’re watching clap our hands and dance around are as sweaty as the guys on stage. When the last note of the last song, an excellent version of Spellbound, has gone silent we’re screaming “one more time!” for several minutes, all in vain because there will be no more, we’re still so happy we almost embrace each other as the light is turned back on.

I say hello to Jon Hare afterwards, shake his hand and die for a bit when he says “Thanks” to all my flattery.

The thing is, this arrangement could’ve been nothing but an embarrassingly ridiculous experience. But with a big portion of self distance, irony and humour, where all involved and spectators just wanted an excuse to have fun, turned this into the concert of the year.

So was this really the last Back In Time Live I’ve just witnessed, I asked Ben Daglish. In that case it was a really successful good bye, a beautiful burial. But Ben Daglish just grins (he’s soaked in sweat) and then he screams “Bollocks to that!” in my ear and shines like the sun as he takes a swing from his plastic glass filled with beer, runs up on stage to receive the audience standing ovations. I remain standing and clap my hands.
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Aw :)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

"Do You Know ABBA"
HAHAHAHAHA OMFGG HAHAHAHAHA !!! Oh That is SO typical !

Like when ppl come here, stop and ask you for directions to say ..... Leeds, then ask "Do you know Garry Watts from Staffordshire ?" .... i go glib lipped and utter ...... "Ummmmmm no.... i ... dont ... think ... .so ....."

LOL !!!

But in case anyone DOES know Abba ;) throw the blonde lass my email addy ;) lol
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

He tells me "back end of October" Andreas, so ill expect a date like 27th / 28th ... I too am looking forward to a good read :)
Retrovertigo
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Retrovertigo »

Great article Makke, thanks! :D
Makke
gooooooood!
gooooooood!

Post by Makke »

Andreas Wallström wrote:I think it was a crappy article because there were many mistakes and the pictures were the worst.
Yeah, it's not the best article I ever read, and the pirctures were crummy. What I find most strange is that there's almost no words in it from any of the acts, or organizers...and I'm not saying that because I want to be in the magazine, but because it would've given better coverage.

I mean it's all the reporters thoughts and impressions, which of course is interesting to read, but a few words from the artists, organizers or other partakers and their thoughts on the event would've been good.

Still, it's really nice to see the magazines pick up on it.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Least u got a mention man lol ..... i cant stop listening to Forbidden Forrest - despite hating RAP lol .... its got some seriously evil overtones in it lol ..... especially the "No -NoOoOoHoHo" lol ... ..... and later, the "keep the disc spinnin" reminded me SO much of the Fugee's when the guy drops in with "One time One time".....
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

The main thing is that BTLive gets more media and therefore public attention, so Kudos to the guy for coming over, and doing it :)
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Well, yes and no, cos to all intents and purposes, media attention right now wont help as there is no more bitlives ..... well, in the uk at least ...... and organised by Chris.

Course ill gladly help out whomever does it with the poster etc...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Well,yeah, apart from occasional noises from PPOT, everything's gone a bit quiet on the Copenhagen front, hasn't it? Is anyone apart from PPOT planning on taking responsibility for any parts of the event? Danes? Swedes? Anybody?

Chris