OT: Hammered Mozilla.org ? Try this for Firefox 1.0

Talk freely about the scene, the world of remixing, or anything off-topic unsuitable for the "Fun Forum".
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

OT: Hammered Mozilla.org ? Try this for Firefox 1.0

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... xe.torrent

Requires a bittorrent client of coz (I prefer Azureus). Don't forget to seed when you're done. :D
C64GLeN
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by C64GLeN »

Hands up all the Firefox users!
xo
Exosphere Resident
Exosphere Resident

Post by xo »

Firefox is nice. However countdown to Longhorn and thus ClickOnce deployment of .NET applications has begun. :~P
AdamDawes
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by AdamDawes »

Only thing to be aware of with Firefox 1.0 is that most of the existing plugins aren't compatible with it at present. Due to the horrendous amount of traffic at the Firefox-related sites, it's pretty much impossible to upgrade them at the moment as none of the web sites are responding. :-)

I uninstalled it on my machine and went back to Firefox 1.0PR. I'll give it a week or so for things to calm down and then try 1.0 again.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

I still find Firebird faster, I have both installed... firefox seems to have issues with certain CSS commands too.
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Put simply, Firefox rocks. 1.0 really is nice and stable, and it's just a case of some of the themes and extensions being compatible which will take a little time. However, the Pinball and Noia Extreme themes work a treat with it (I use Pinball due to its small footprint, works really well).

I've temporarily put the installer on my webspace too, if anyone wants to grab it:

http://www.wazzaw.freeuk.com/Private/Firefox1_0.exe

(exe renamed to avoid double dot extensions)

Who needs IE? Not me :)
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Zzap! 64, CF and HVSC Contributor
Flickr! - http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers
--------------------------------------------
Subzero
Whaurs ma troosers!!!
Whaurs ma troosers!!!

Post by Subzero »

Cheers wazzaw - I could not get it from mozilla.org at all!!! :)
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

No problem, glad I could help on that one.

Incidentally, anyone tried the neato RSS Live Bookmark features yet? They really rock. (They've been present for a while, but just thought I'd mention it)

Try BBC News for example (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news). See the orange icon at the bottom? Click it and then select "Add Live Bookmark", following the onscreen instructions.

Now in your bookmarks, select BBC News, and badabing! Latest headlines you can click and select a link within the folder for each news story.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Vosla
General Pain In The Forum's Ass

Post by Vosla »

Only thing that bothers me with Firefox is a "bug" with the downloading function. The browser works very well but everytime I download something, the whole thing grinds to a halt for 30 seconds, even for small JPEGs! Very strange behavior! Installed Mozilla 1.7.3 which didn't have that glitch, the older Mozilla 1.4 was also a pain for downloading small files.

Well, all that pain but I can avoid using IE, that's all the good news I need.
All is lost.
Matrix
Honorary Geek
Honorary Geek

Post by Matrix »

Interesting Volsa.... I get that with Firebird, but not with Firefox, with Firefox saving is instant - maybe its sumthin to do with installed components its trying to be compliant with ? Java for example....
Waz
Forum Adept
Forum Adept

Post by Waz »

Vosla wrote:Only thing that bothers me with Firefox is a "bug" with the downloading function. The browser works very well but everytime I download something, the whole thing grinds to a halt for 30 seconds
How odd. What I'd suggest is uninstalling Firefox, then installing it again. I tend to do that when I upgrade versions, and it works very well indeed. Might also be that you've downloaded an incompatible extension or theme somwhere - be sure to uninstall all the incompatible ones just in case.

It works really well here on my new look box, and even on the old humble AMD K6-2 500 I had before, it worked great there too.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Jan Lund Thomsen
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Jan Lund Thomsen »

wazzaw wrote:Incidentally, anyone tried the neato RSS Live Bookmark features yet? They really rock. (They've been present for a while, but just thought I'd mention it)

Try BBC News for example (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news). See the orange icon at the bottom? Click it and then select "Add Live Bookmark", following the onscreen instructions.

Now in your bookmarks, select BBC News, and badabing! Latest headlines you can click and select a link within the folder for each news story.
Said orange icon also pops up at the bottom of the browser window when you visit RKO. :D
Vosla

Post by Vosla »

wazzaw wrote:(...) How odd. What I'd suggest is uninstalling Firefox, then installing it again. I tend to do that when I upgrade versions, and it works very well indeed. Might also be that you've downloaded an incompatible extension or theme somwhere - be sure to uninstall all the incompatible ones just in case.

It works really well here on my new look box, and even on the old humble AMD K6-2 500 I had before, it worked great there too.
The odd thing is that I didn't had a version of Firefox or Firebird installed before, also didn't have it cluttered with themes now. On my machine, Mozilla is for grunt work, Opera for testing and a dormant IE in a straight jacket just for the fun of it.

Java might be an idea, though. Everything Java grinds my PC to halt for several painful seconds. There is an option to hold Java in system memory all the time but I don't like that, Java tends to crash here and then and takes whatever it can get hold on with it. The new Mozilla I installed after Firefox has a slightly better behavior with downloads but still has to "think" a few seconds before it works.
All is lost.