rko guidelines

Have you released a new remix at Remix.Kwed.Org, AmigaRemix or somewhere else on the web? Tell the community about it here!
zerozillion
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

rko guidelines

Post by zerozillion »

DON'T ...

... pad an original SID with drum loops or other samples.
ok, i´ve uploaded a starpaws remix that does contain

[] drumloops (no, i didn´t use e-jay or a similar click´n´drop programm)

[] the 1st voice of the original .sid

[] a custom distorted bass, a bitcrushed cello and some other stuff

i guess with these ingredients it will be rejected.

but:

isn´t that what a remix is supposed to be? a re-mix - mixing up an original song to sound different?

a version of a song that doesn´t contain original material is a cover version then? or?

i don´t know about the other people here, but i love sid tunes for the way they sound, the sound itself goes hand in hand with the melody & composition of the tune.

sometimes i hear remixes that remind me of "greatest synthesizer hits of the 80ies" type songs.

the mos6581 is really a unique piece of synthesizer technology, rough and dirty, and there are people that really got unbelieveable sounds out of this little beast, sometimes rougher than anyone imagined and sometimes really soft & sweet.

it just hurts my ears a bit to replace these sounds with 303-ish and other modern synth sounds. this is not the spirit imho.

sorry, rambling; this has been in my mind for longer now.

tell me what you think!
what roughtech sounds like
dan gillgrass
Built from Stella and KFC
Built from Stella and KFC

Post by dan gillgrass »

Its all a bit misty.... but, you can ALWAYS submit a track and see what happens, sid+drum mixes do get admitted!

Also check out the editorial here

<fnordpojk> Dan_Gillg: Is WoW down, or what brings you here? ;)
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Why not complain AFTER it gets rejected? And if it doesn't... woohoo!!

<this is my opinion, and not Jan's: so it doesn't count for much really!!>
Basically, tunes get accepted as long as they're something that someone else couldn't have obviously done: i.e. if the creation wasn't a mechanical process. Plus they have to sound good.>

There's another editorial which covers the rest of the stuff. Suffice to say that the RKO jury contains a fair amount of people who like the SID sound when integrated into something else.

Chris