8-bit noodly fun.

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

8-bit noodly fun.

Post by Maindrian »

Hello dear friends, it's been a long while since I've turned up here, how are you all? :D

To the point, I've been having fun fiddling about with a program called Sawcutter for the past six months, using it to do simple little pieces of music for a daft little youtube film I'm still working on. Over time, I've figured out how to make the thing do 8-bit style tracks.

So, you guys being fellow chiptune/sid fans like myself, I could think of nowhere else better to show them off.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/view.ph ... &sub=72358

Sorry it's a newgrounds page, but it's been a pretty good online storage place for my stuff for quite a while now. The 8-bit stuff is marked out as such I think.

Feel free to browse my other songs as well, but it's mainly the chiptune stuff I'm interested in you guys hearing. Also, bear in mind, it's not really that Sid-dy. If anything, it's mostly inspired by Spectrum music as the first tune on the page will attest to.

I just want to see if you guys think I've captured the vibe really. I dunno... :)

Oh yes, one last pointer. If you do fancy having a flick through the other tracks, ignore the Touge Song. It might make you lose control of your bowels. :P
Great, another set of strings ruined...
Analog-X64
I Adore My 64
I Adore My 64

Post by Analog-X64 »

Welcome back!!! :)

So were all these tunes done in Sawcutter? Any VST Synths? or just Samples.
d[-.-]b (+[___]x)d(>_<)b 52656d697836342e636f6d2073696d706c7920726f636b732120
Maindrian
Forum Loony
Forum Loony

Post by Maindrian »

It's VST, I think. Frankly, I've always been a "plug guitar/bass into soundcard, crank it and if it turns out bad, chop into little bits, hit with hammer and throw in a drum sequence" type musician. All this new terminology is a bit over my head. I often feel a little out of my depth discussing my on the fly music with you real musicians. Hell, I've recently uploaded a remix that starts off with 1 or 2 minuites worth of ragged nylon string guitar recorded on a distorted microphone sitting a couple of meters away.

http://www.cuttermusic.com/productsSC1.htm There you are. It's basic, extremely basic, good for a couple of bars at best. In order to get full tunes out of it, I have to record a lot of little bits to wav and then put them together in Audacity, but it works quite seamlessly. For a six year old freebie, it ain't half fun to play with.

Still, I'm thinking of shelling out for the 2.0 version.
Great, another set of strings ruined...