Marcel Donne - Sweet - guitar solo

The place for musicians to share their knowledge and ideas about music and remixing, and to post WIP snippets and feedback. Also suggest tunes for remixing, here.
maverickbna
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Marcel Donne - Sweet - guitar solo

Post by maverickbna »

Listen to Marcel Donne's Sweet at 2:55 - I know there's a musical term for the "ladder" or "climb" that he performs during that phrase. Arpeggio isn't completely correct. Would it be sweep-picking?

Bloody great tune. :cheers:
In a sky full of people - only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?
Romeo Knight
Supreme Strumming Daddy
Supreme Strumming Daddy

Re: Marcel Donne - Sweet - guitar solo

Post by Romeo Knight »

First of all, as far as I get it it's not a guitar but a synth solo with a guitar-like sound.
Arpeggios are chords split to separate notes and played one after the other in a somewhat fast sequence - so I think it would be allowed to call that passages arpeggio (although the position of the notes are changed during those fast sequences).
Whatever, "sweep picking" is a guitar playing technique that means hitting all strings from one direction, most times in one move by the strumming hand (the opposite would be "alternate picking"). This technique is often used to play arpeggios, so it's nothing s/o would do "instead of arpeggios".
I hope that was helpful.
maverickbna
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by maverickbna »

I realize that it was a synth solo, but I figured a similar effect could be achieved with the real thing. :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up.
maverickbna
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by maverickbna »

Shows you how much I've missed in music theory. :help: :duh:

Once I get back into university, I'm gonna take a *proper* music theory course. It's just been far too long, and I need a refresher.
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Lets just say that it's a "sweet lick" that Johannes Bjerregaard came up with and listening to all the slides and choice of instrument sounds in the track he was obviously thinking it should be played on an electric guitar.

It really is a very clever song no matter which instruments you play it on and Marcel just blew us all away with his rendition! Long live the CS-80! He did tell me which synth he used to do produce the electric guitar sound but I cannot remember which of the ONE BILLION synth's that he owns was actually used in the track :twisted:
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org