Suggestions anyone for the next BIT Live ?

Radio shows, podcasts, live events, CD releases, etc...
Franksey$D012
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Suggestions anyone for the next BIT Live ?

Post by Franksey$D012 »

Matrix wrote :
-------------------------------------------------
What id like to see at the next BIT Live....
--------------------------------------------------

Open the format a little to include SX64 & the 16+4 - Amiga 500 -> 1200 demo displays and music performances. More scene guys going like Mahoney - for example, Nuke & 4Mat of Anarchy .... Dr.Awesome (No Bjorn this year !!! he only lives 10 miles from me, i could have brought him down with me lol - AND WHERES FLESHBRAIN GONE !!! anyone know ??) .... Mantronix .... Alistair Brimble .... maybe some from Red Sector, Slipstream, LSD, Silents, Crionics and more. Also how about an 8-bit and a 16-bit art competition ? say 4 hours and the best one wins a copy of Vidcom64 and a koala chip encased in glass - Hows about a quiz (which mod, which group, which composer etc)... a DJ competition would be cool - you can get cd scratch decks now so remixers and composers offing their talent on-stage and remixing on the fly would be just BIT-chin - what about a ProTracker *bring ur own soundbanks* Mod Competition - making an amiga mod sound liek a c64 tune (i think 4mat would win that anyway if he came, bit of a wizz with tiny samples that duder). Oh ya - and the whole BITS gang Re-United

*Gasp for Air*

And a more northern/central venue - - - say - - - Blackpool / Scarborough
Interesting comments about the DJ competition. You mentioned the CD mixing decks. Dawsy who was with me at the event is a dance DJ and has an amazing gadget, some of you may have seen one of these but I will attempt to describe it. As we all know traditional dance DJs mix vinyl records on turntables and have great flexibility with the tempo/movement on the decks and using crossfaders to slam the tunes in and out, but how can you achieve this with a SID tune? His device consists of a vinyl record that you play on a standard deck. The record itself just plays an audio "time code" that is fed through an interface in to the laptop/PC. This time code interfaces with an MP3 player in terms of speed and direction. So basically you can select any MP3(s)and their playback is controlled completely by the deck, so you can scratch, fade, speed up, stop, slow down whatever. I'm pretty sure Dawsy said he'd be happy to bring this along to an event, so anyone with DJ skills could mix up SID tunes or SID remixes! He has the technics decks, amp(s), speakers etc etc. I'll get him to sign up for this forum, hes very enthusiastic about DJ'ing and 64 remixing!

Oh and could we bring Bitlive back to the midlands, Nottingham maybe? :-) Very central in England so fair for all people to travel and especially fair for me :-)
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

i think chris has mentioned this before, the reason why it's down south is simply because it's much simpler for overseas people to get there than it is up north. Most cheap flights from europe land at stanstead.

ofcourse i'd like to see another northern event or central but i understand the reasoning behind the location.

Brighton had some good nightlife tho, good night out around there. was much better than London. Still not quite on par with doncaster tho ;)
FromWithin
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by FromWithin »

Well how about Liverpool? It'd save Fred Gray the fortune he paid in train fare. ;)

Home of lots of 8-bit innovation, and easyJet flies there.

There are loads of potential venues around the centre.

But this is all a bit soon, I think. :)
Mike Clarke
skitz
Scene Legend
Scene Legend

Post by skitz »

Dawsy who was with me at the event is a dance DJ and has an amazing gadget, some of you may have seen one of these but I will attempt to describe it. As we all know traditional dance DJs mix vinyl records on turntables and have great flexibility with the tempo/movement on the decks and using crossfaders to slam the tunes in and out, but how can you achieve this with a SID tune? His device consists of a vinyl record that you play on a standard deck. The record itself just plays an audio "time code" that is fed through an interface in to the laptop/PC. This time code interfaces with an MP3 player in terms of speed and direction. So basically you can select any MP3(s)and their playback is controlled completely by the deck, so you can scratch, fade, speed up, stop, slow down whatever. I'm pretty sure Dawsy said he'd be happy to bring this along to an event, so anyone with DJ skills could mix up SID tunes or SID remixes! He has the technics decks, amp(s), speakers etc etc.
I assume you mean Final Scratch from stanton?
DJ Skitz
email: skitz@djskitz.com
email: skitz@slayradio.org
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Next one will probably be in London again.

My experience with Birmingham pretty much put me off the Midlands as a venue, and it's easier to get everyone together in somewhere central. Also, someone spare a thought for the organiser: I've got to cart everything around the country too, y'know.

Still not sure about Blackpool: I got a lot of comments about its lack of class... (from people near to it!!)

Chris
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

Another thing is that there's no way we can top this one, so the next one will be a bit of a sidestep. More news as it happens.
Franksey$D012
Commodore Fan
Commodore Fan

Post by Franksey$D012 »

skitz wrote:
Dawsy who was with me at the event is a dance DJ and has an amazing gadget, some of you may have seen one of these but I will attempt to describe it. As we all know traditional dance DJs mix vinyl records on turntables and have great flexibility with the tempo/movement on the decks and using crossfaders to slam the tunes in and out, but how can you achieve this with a SID tune? His device consists of a vinyl record that you play on a standard deck. The record itself just plays an audio "time code" that is fed through an interface in to the laptop/PC. This time code interfaces with an MP3 player in terms of speed and direction. So basically you can select any MP3(s)and their playback is controlled completely by the deck, so you can scratch, fade, speed up, stop, slow down whatever. I'm pretty sure Dawsy said he'd be happy to bring this along to an event, so anyone with DJ skills could mix up SID tunes or SID remixes! He has the technics decks, amp(s), speakers etc etc.
I assume you mean Final Scratch from stanton?
That does sound very familiar, so I'll say yes, but I'll check on it, whats your view on that system?

PS guys those comments I added about bringing the event to the midlands were tongue in cheek, anywhere is fine by me.
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Blackpool isn't classy, thats true. i have been there many times, it is still a great place tho. it's full of stag nights, gets extremely busy. i'd recomend anyone on a night out to go there, but for bitlive i personally wouldn't recomend it. it's more of a get hammered and get laid type of place.

Brighton i did enjoy a lot, though the place was the best place yet where bitlive is concerned. Tho i still can't understand why pubs close at 11pm. Is this just a donny thing? pubs do not close in donny til 2am without paying for admission fees. Same thing happened in London too.

At the end of the day, we do have to think about the organisational side of things, chris obviously needs a locality near to him as the further afield he goes the harder it is to organise.

Your point about Birmigham is shared too. bloody confusing place!

At the end of the day, i have my preferences to it's locality but i'm happy that we have these events at all so i'd travel to the top of mount snowden if i had to =)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

I've done a couple of gigs in Blackpool, and had the "opportunity" to look around, with my wife.

In one sentence...."IT'S A HOLE"

Let's do Back in Time Hove next time, I don't mind travelling the extra mile or so ;)
madfiddler
Forum Hero
Forum Hero

Post by madfiddler »

As for the pubs. Yeah, they shut at 11pm. Trying to get 24 hour licenses, but to be honest, Brighton has enough trouble at 11pm.

Was rather shocked at the lack of food places after 11pm though.

I know, Martin Galway couldn't understand why I didn't know of any. But I haven't had an evening out in Brighton for about 4 years. Saturday night gigs are always somewhere else...
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

> but to be honest, Brighton has enough trouble at 11pm
Yeah, we got a late licence until 1am, which is almost unheard of. It's because the idea of the event caught the imagination of the magistrates, who thought it was the weirdest event they'd ever heard of :)

Chris
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

Just seems mighty strange to me thats all, we have had 2am closing here for about 6 years or so.

curious, does anywhere else have pubs that stay open til 2am without the need of paying admission?

I'm beginning to think it's just a Donny thing.

Our Nightclubs close at 4am, is that unusal too?
Chris Abbott
Forum God
Forum God

Post by Chris Abbott »

You probably have really lax magistrates. Brighton is a bit of an uptight place, whereas Doncaster is a working man's place :) (oooh, regional generalisations!! Controversial!
tas
R64 Founder
R64 Founder

Post by tas »

ha! it's prolly cos we have nothing left in donny since the mines closed down, so beer is our biggest export =)

some of our pubs even open at 10am these days and serve beer. ok, so we all a bunch of no good alchoholics =)